Thursday, July 31, 2008

Braxton Hicks

I first realized I was having Braxton Hicks about two weeks ago after talking to a friend. She asked me if I had Braxton Hicks yet and I said no, I don't think so. I thought you only got Braxton Hicks at the end of your pregnancy right before you deliver. I didn't realize that you could get them as early as 16 weeks. I had her describe what they felt like and read a bit about them on-line and realized that the stomach cramps where my abdomen would be hard that had been waking me up just about every night at 5 am were ACTUALLY Braxton Hicks. So, then I started paying attention to all the times that my stomach would get upset during the day...I am not one of the lucky ones that only had nausea in the 1st trimester and realized that I actually have BH quite frequently. In the past week, I did a little reading about BH and learned that as long as they weren't coming in regular intervals or causing back pain that I didn't need to worry about them. I sometimes will have multiple in an hour and was talking to a co-worker about it today and she said that I shouldn't have that many this early and that I should check with my midwife. I decided to call my mom to see if she thought I should call my midwife because I didn't want to be paranoid and she said I should call. The nurse wanted me to come in immediately, but I couldn't (a) because I didn't think it was that big a deal and (b) because I had meetings for work all afternoon. My midwife then called and said that I should come in just tomorrow morning to be sure, particularly because I am flying to MN for a wedding tomorrow. I relayed all this to my mom and she freaked out. She thinks that all my running is horrible and that the running is causing the BH and that I am being an irresponsible mother and that if something happens to the baby I would be to blame because of my "selfish" running. All of which is unfair. All the research that I had done didn't show any relationship between running and early labor. I, of course, am willing to do whatever is best for the baby, but I am not convinced at this point that running is the problem. We'll see what the midwife says tomorrow. My days of running may be over, but I hope not!

No comments:

Post a Comment