So, after nearly 8 weeks of not running...I went on my first run today. It was GREAT to be out and active again in the cool fall/winter weather....but I was also a little sad by how out of shape I am. I have come back from numerous injuries that required complete recovery and it is always hard. The worse was recovery from my bunionectomy/hammertoe surgery in 2006....I didn't run for 8 months and one of those months was complete bedrest. In comparison, this recovery should be easier. I ran 3 miles and then walked 3 miles. I went between 10-13 min/mile, which is slow, but I didn't want to push it. Normally, when coming back to running, I walk/run and build myself up to 10 minutes running and then build up slowly to 30 minutes continuous running (which I usually find to be the jumping off point for runs 7+ miles long)...but I was being impatient. I think the biggest difference that I notice is that my abs feel SO weak! I have been meaning to do ab work...but it falls by the wayside everyday to sleep or chores or a crying baby that seems to think that my nipple is the only suitable pacifier. I think I will do 2 days on, 2 day off with running and try to increase my distance .25-.5 mile each run. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.
Oh and I am really struggling to lose the IVF/trying to get pregnant lbs. I actually gained a bit of weight this past 2 weeks. I am addicted to chocolate and other things that aren't good at me. I've never been able to diet. I think I might make myself get on a scale every day to make myself be realistic about what I am eating. Ug. When one wears sweat pants/workout outfits every day, it is easy to get lazy about eating healthfully.
I hear ya on the weak abs! I've been working mine several times/week and although I can see improvement, there's still a long way to go!
ReplyDeleteGlad you got to run. It gets better everyday. :)
yay for the run! i bet you'll build back your speed/endurance pretty quickly. my diet has totally fallen off the wagon since i stopped working out consistently (i won't say "at all" just yet...), and i know that's going to be tough for me too, especially with the holidays...
ReplyDeleteIt sounds like abs are a common problem after giving birth. You'll get them strong in no time! I bet running felt great, of course slower than usual but you are running!!! Yay! I'm sure the weight will come off, I wouldn't stress about it!
ReplyDeleteAtta girl! You're on your way back.
ReplyDelete