PHOTO: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ex2adventures/3341744598/in/set-72157615043511072/
I was the first female finisher at the Backyard Burn 10 mile race today! It's a hilly trail race in a park in Northern Virginia. As if getting up early to prepare for a race isn't hard enough, today was the first day of daylight savings, we had to drive an hour to the race, AND figure out how to feed a baby! My hubby and I both ran this race (well, he ran the 5 miler) and our sister-in-law happily volunteered to watch Nathan while we ran. To deal with the baby feeding issue, I pumped in the car before and after the race. It actually ended being a lot easier than I expected...the pumping/baby management part. The race itself was pretty tough. Lots of hills and MAN do I suck at hills. I was thinking that I would probably end up running 8 min miles. I actually had to WALK up some of the hills they were so steep. And, there were lots of roots and trees so you really had to watch where you were going. I twisted my ankle twice while running but thankfully not enough to do any real damage. I forgot my garmin, so I don't know my splits, but I ended up with 1:19:55. I have no idea how to compare trail race times to road races. I did WIN the race, so I must have done pretty well. For a large portion of the race, I was running alone. There were some guys in front of me that were way faster and I didn't see any women anywhere close to me, so I pretty much knew that I was in 1st place. I have to be honest...I don't think that I pushed myself as hard as I would have if I had a female competitor. Nathan was a real hit after the race and I met two other running moms with 4 and 5 month old babies that placed in their age group, too. Unfortunately, neither live close to me. I'm still stalking people to find a running partner and did ask the girl that came in behind me for her email. Neither of the two other potentials worked out so far.....Iromwoman is way too fast for me and Chill Runner is so chill that she never comes to Saturday runs anymore. So, we'll see if Trail Runner works out. One of the other running mamas told me about RunHers, a female only running group so I am going to check them out.
Weekly Mileage
Monday, March 2, 2009: 8 miles @ 8:06
Tuesday, March 3, 2009: 10 miles @ 7:48, BodyPump
Wednesday, March 4, 2009: 9.4 miles, MTV Yoga Video
Thursday, March 5, 2009: 8.6 miles
Friday, March 6, 2009: 7 miles, BodyFlow
Saturday, March 7, 2009: 75 minutes elliptical
Sunday, March 8, 2009: 10 mile race and MASSAGE
Total Mileage: 53 miles
Nice job! That must have felt great! :) And good luck with the training partner search... I feel so blessed that I've got 2 great gals to swim with, one awesome one to ride with, and yet another fast one to run with. It really makes training more fun, even if you have to go out of your way to figure out schedules, etc...
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the win! And way to deal with day light savings! It was a struggle to get up this morning.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to move back to DC and am hoping my husband finds a business there to buy. You'd have a running partner.
Wow! Super impressive. Congrats on the win!
ReplyDeleteI love how you named the 2 ladies you ran with - that is too funny. Congratulations on your great success #1! at the race today. That's a fantastic time for a trail and hilly race! Hope that you find a partner soon! And good to hear the pumping went well. I'm doing a race the end of March and already kind of trying to figure out how I will do the feeding. Also for my long runs. Did you bring a bottle to feed Nathan or pump the milk and give him that?
ReplyDeletenice! see, in my book, if you win races, you're SO allowed to eat chocolate chips and peanut butter.
ReplyDeleteYea! Congratulations! I'm hoping to run a trail race sometime this summer. Miss that. Did you do any training on trails for this race?
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the trail race! I've heard those races are really challenging. I'd planned to do a few of the series this year, but it didn't work with my schedule (and I'd be finishing a long time after you LOL).
ReplyDeleteHave you checked out "see mommy run"? You might be able to find a local mom or two on there.
Angela--Yeah!
ReplyDeleteNatalie D--I fed Nathan in the wee hours (4:30-6:30ish); then pumped on the way there b/c it was about 1 hr b/f he needed to eat and had SIL feed him this bottle (which he didn't finish...I always make extra milk in the am); fed him the rest of the milk that he didn't finish on the car ride home and pumped more milk and also fed him this all on the car ride home. It worked out perfectly.
Clare--but really, literally 1 whole bag of chocolate chips in 5 days and 1/2 jar of PB? Not okay! Plus 1 whole angel food cake. Seriously, I should start blogging about how much I eat. It's ridiculous.
Sara--ZIPPY training on trails. There are some hills on my runs, but nothing like the ones in the race, which is why I sucked @ss running up them.
Erika--I tried emailing some moms on "see mommy run" and no one ever emailed me back!
FABULOUS!!
ReplyDeleteHi - I was one of the other moms at the BYB Sunday. Came across your blog randomly today clicking through some others and recognized Nathan's picture. I guess we won't be seeing you at the rest of the BYB series but good luck in your races and with finding a training partner. I'll be reading!
ReplyDelete