Sunday, April 26, 2009

Prize Money!? WHAT?!

I freaking won some prize money today at the GW Parkway 10-miler! I wish I could have captured the moment...standing up there with all of these elite runners that I feel are WAY out of my class....to accept my 10th place prize. It was the best feeling ever. Little old me...who runs with a jogging stroller and does speed workouts on the treadmill...and these people that are going to the Olympic trials. I felt like everyone watching us must have thought that they were playing the "which one is not like the others" game that they play on Sesame Street.

I was amazed that my time was only 20-30 seconds off my PR two weeks ago at the Cherry Blossom 10-miler. There was a world of difference in how I felt at these two races. My legs were very fresh during the Cherry Blossom and I really felt like I left a little out there at the end of the race. This race, however, was a total struggle. I only did a mini-taper for this race and my legs felt like lead. Running 9-10 miles with the jogging stroller on Tuesday was NOT a good idea. Plus, at the start of the race my quads and IT band felt a little off. I ended up being fairly consistent with my miles (with the exception of the first mile that I ran in 5:50), so I think I have gotten better about pacing myself.

Other good news: I GOT TO SEE AND CHEER FOR MCM Mama!! which was TOTALLY AWESOME. I tried to find you after the race MCM Mama, but there were too many people. You looked great! My hubby ran the race as well and finished just under the two hour mark. Go hubby!

Hubby and I have been debating whether I can use the $200 I won to put toward coaching. He doesn't want me to because he doesn't think that we will have the time. We actually got in a big fight about it on the ride home. He said that with me returning to work and Nathan still not sleeping and him having a high pressure job that didn't lend itself to much flexibility that I shouldn't think about training more/harder/committing to specific workouts with a running group. I was so upset. I think I was coming off the high of being within reach of all these amazing runners that probably trainer harder/smarter than I do and wondering if maybe I could be better. But, at the end of the day, I will never be a professional runner. It will always be an avocation, not a vocation for me. How much am I willing to make my family sacrifice so I can do something that I enjoy, but will never qualify as an "elite?" How much does my running matter? I don't know that I would actually enjoy training harder. I certainly wouldn't want to be doing any more miles than I am doing now. But, I would enjoy the companionship of other runners. I've been looking into team coaching through Capital Area Runners....but maybe I should just get a virtual coach like Mama Simmons, Kate Parker, or Angela Kidd. I don't know. I only trained with a group once...and it felt all consuming. I don't know that I can go back to that place again.

Weekly Mileage:
Monday, April 20, 2009: 8.6 miles @ 7:41 pace (Treadmill), MTV Power Yoga Video
Tuesday, April 21, 2009: 9-10 miles (with jogging stroller), Body Pump
Wednesday, April 22, 2009: 8.6 miles, 20 minutes of Power Yoga Video (baby decided mommy needed to pay more attention to him)
Thursday, April 23, 2009: Body Pump, 7 miles
Friday, April 24, 2009: 6 miles, 3 mile walk
Saturday, April 25, 2009: 60 minutes elliptical, 2 mile walk
Sunday, April 26, 2009: 10 miles @ 6:33 pace, 8 minute warmup (~1 mile), 1 mile @ 12 min pace w/ hubby = ~12 miles
Total Mileage: 52.6 miles

Off to Puerto Rico! I'll talk to you all in 6 days!

9 comments:

  1. Congrats!! That's awesome.

    I gotta say- hiring a coach his year was the best thing I've ever done to improve my running. Do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say get the coach.

    Remember how a couple of weeks ago, you felt like taking a blog break because of everypne's sleeping babies? I have been taking one because you guys make me feel like a lame athlete. Amazing race for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're right, about the comment you left on my blog. new normal...it's all good. i'll never quite be in your shoes wondering "what if?" in terms of elite, but i sure do spend too much time wondering "what if" i could just be faster than i am now. i do need to stop comparing myself to all you freakishly committed athletes! ha ha. we always want more...which is good, but makes me feel all conflicted! nice job on the prize $$. coaching sounds awesome, i would totally have wanted to do that pre-baby. now...honestly, could you commit enough time to make it worth it? if you CAN, and would feel good about it, you should. if not...can you put the $ into savings earmarked for coaching when nathan's a bit older??

    ReplyDelete
  4. feel like the wheels might go flying off at any moment....and throw working into the mix... I don't know. Maybe Clare's right...I can put coaching off until I am done with babies. But then I have to get the other foot surgery done and that will put me off another year. Ag. I have been at this crux before...and chosen the more laid back route. Maybe I have to make that peace with myself again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. I should clarify...I am under no delusions that I am or could be an elite runner! This race was a fluke! There was 9-10 min between me and the 1st place winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is still fun to dream though and a coach could meet you where you're at and push you further. See what going back to work feels like. Perhaps find a weekend running group to offer some support if you hold off on getting a coach. Think about it on the beach. : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. You did awesome! Don't downplay it! :) how exciting! that is your prize money that you earned so you get to decide what to do with it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think hiring a coach would be awesome. I'm nowhere near as fast as you and I've often wondered what working with someone would do for me. I'd probably wait a bit until you are settled into working again. I know when I first went back to work, I felt like I did nothing but work, pump, nurse, and clean bottles...

    It was awesome seeing you at the race. It gave me just the boost I needed to finish strong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are a stud! Great job. Like others said, having a coach is a great thing. I train less with a coach but so much more effectively and smartly. And having someone set workouts makes it so much easier to plan to fit them in.

    Enjoy PR!

    ReplyDelete