Friday, June 19, 2009

Does the middle path simply mean mediocrity?

Thanks so much for your heart-warming comments on my last blog. We are all forging our own way in motherhood and it is so nice to have a peer group of women that include ATHLETES in their new identities.

Since my conversation with my mother, I've been thinking a lot about my career and being a mother. I feel like I am straddling the fence and not really giving 100% to any aspect of my life (motherhood, career, husband, running). I was on a panel this past week with several female CXOs (speaking in my capacity of the non-profit I run...which I have finally decided to resign from) and I noticed that of the five women...only 2 were married, but had no children. These women were indeed very successful in their careers, but what about the other aspects of their life? Is the only way to be successful at something to put all your efforts toward it? I looked around at these women and realized that I didn't want to be them. If I am really honest with myself, I don't necessarily place a lot of value on achieving a high level leadership position and would rather have a multi-dimensional life. Granted, I don't know everything going on in their lives, but based on their personal bios and the amount of time that their career takes, I don't think I want to make that investment.

But, where does this leave me with my career? All of the assumptions that I have been making for the past 9 years seem null and void. I no longer have an end goal in mind other than balancing my life with Nathan and fitting in time for running. One of the things I was originally looking for when I started my career was a profession where I could grow and advance and pull in a decent salary. It was always important to me to have my own income because (a) I didn't want all of the burden to fall on my husband; (b) I wanted to feel self-sufficient should something happen to my husband or marriage; (c) I like to spend money! I know that stepping out of my career to take care of children would have some great advantages (time with Nathan, more free time for my family because we wouldn't have to spend our weekends cleaning and running errands). But, working also has some great benefits, like mental stimulation, interaction with people I enjoy, an external source of self-esteem, and more financial freedom...and the all important justification for hiring a cleaning lady and massages.

I started reading an interesting book on female leadership "Through the Labyrinth: The Truth About How Women Become Leaders" and it has an interesting section on balancing motherhood and careers:

"Many mothers, including some who have superb career credentials, choose part-time employment, take lengthy leaves of absence, or even leave employment entirely while raising children. However, women who take such actions do so very likely at the expense of their long-term careers. Many women may not realize the magnitude of the costs they may incur. And many women may not fully understand the advantages of maintaining employment despite substantial family responsibility.

What are these advantages? Because people want a healthy and satisfying life, we ask whether the combination of employment, marriage, and parenthood is the best way to achieve such a life. The answer isn't obvious. In fact, there are two very different ways that social scientists have theorized about multiple roles. According to one view, having multiple life roles creates stress, strain, and overload because multiple demands quickly become excessive. According to an alternative view, having multiple roles enhances learning and mastery. Also, each new role generally affords some increase in social support and builds social capital. In this view, a life full of challenges does not wear people down but instead strengthens them."

What do you all think? Does having multiple life roles strengthen you or stress you out? My mother seems to think it will just stress me out--which if I am truly honest--is a fear of mine.

I keep reminding myself that there is no one path and even if I decide to tread water in my career for the next few years that there is no reason that I can't change career paths or ramp back up.

I have been thinking a lot about changing career paths....

My two new career day dreams:

Physical therapist:

WHY: All of my friends call and ask for suggestions when they are hurt and I seem to have a 6th sense about people's injuries and how to heal them.

UPSIDE: I know several physical therapists that work 30 hours a week and it seems to be a very family friendly job. Plus, I wouldn't have to sit at a desk all day, which I hate. It's also a portable job that perhaps my hubby and I could use to finally implement our Australia plan.

DOWNSIDE: Three freaking years of school and possibly some prereqs that I would have to complete. I also hear that most physical therapists burn out after 10 years. What would I do if I get bored? Would I just have to start a new career?

Writer:

WHY: I do this at my current job, but I've always been obsessed with being a magazine writer/editor. I actually tried to move to NYC after college, but couldn't land a job and couldn't afford to move up there and wait to find a job.

UPSIDE: I wouldn't have to get any additional training and could free-lance for the next few years.

DOWNSIDE: BIG pay cut. Doesn't feel like a "real" skill like PT. Is this realistic considering the downturn of the publishing sector?

7 comments:

  1. It's good you are leaving things open and thinking that things are temporary and you could always switch gears or directions of where you are going. It is such a struggle and so stressful. I think about it all the time w/ my bipolar stay home/work thing going on. I really enjoyed reading this, and I'm stuck in the middle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the potential new career path; maybe if you just give it a bit of time the decision for you will make itself clearer. My mum raised 3 kids and did odd jobs occasionally (cleaning houses and offices) to supplement dads income. After we all left home she went through a rather prolonged period of "empty nest" (not helped by my brother but that is another story); my sister and I love our Mum dearly but it just so happens our careers have taken us to North America...and we can only really travel back to Oz once a year. Mum and Dad won't fly anywhere o/s. Sooo, the guilt which has been placed on me living so far away at times has been almost unbearable, I feel badly Mum doesn't have us around; but at the same time I've sworn never to totally stop working when I have kids. Because one day, they will fly the nest - and then it will be necessary to know who I am. My Mum gave 20 full years of her life to us kids and only 10 years after us all leaving is she starting to get a sense of who SHE is....I guess over the years the balance between motherhood/career/life will shift as a child grows, just take on what makes you feel most "balanced" (and good luck working out what that happy medium is, I'm sure one day soon I'll be in the same boat!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mantra when it comes to balancing motherhood, career, and personal needs is "whatever works for your family." The answer is different for everyone. And sometimes, you "take one for the team". Right now, for our family, the best answer is for me not to work at all. Some days that's not the best answer for me, but bottom line is that it works best for us as a family. In a few years, this will likely change.

    My opinion (and this is just my opinion) is that it is nearly impossible to have both parents have demanding careers without the children losing out in the end. That doesn't necessarily mean that there has to be a stay at home parent, it just means that one or both parents has to be able to put the kids first when things happen. In our case, my husband is older, so he makes a lot more than I could, his job is more demanding because of the level he's attained, BUT he's also a lot nearer to retirement. That means, in a few years, I'll be figuring out what I want to do, while he's slowing down in his work life and able to give more to the boys.

    Some people find that changing careers when their kids are little is the best time to do it as free lance and schooling tend to be more flexible than a real full time job.

    Good luck figuring out what you want to do. I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

    MCM Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can totally related to your struggle to figure it out. I used to be incredibly career driven and now I just don't care. I told my boss I only want to be promoted to a certain level because I only want a certain level of stress and responsibility in my life. Every now and then I feel like I'm not reaching my potential but that thought is usually fleeting. Honestly, work is just so I can pay the bills and give Zach a comfortable life. And I'm very fortunate because my boss and job are very flexible. I think I'll struggle with my decision to work and whether it is/was the right thing for the rest of my life.

    What's your gut telling you is the right thing to do? If you'e always dreamed of being a writer/editor, go for it. If you can make it work - great. If not, you'll have no regrets in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the PT thing sounds cool...even with 3 years of school (i love school though). nice to have options to throw around though, even if it's just for fun. personally, i need to work...BUT, i don't have a stressful job with long hours. it's a nice compromise...so if you can find something part time/less stressful, i say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok dont know you or your age, but i stumbled on your blog. I worked different jobs out of college and at the ripe age of 28 when all my friends new/established whatever their lot in life..went back to school to be a PT. LOVE IT. I figured i had all my life ahead, who said i couldnt do this? Granted i didnt have a kid, but some did and managed with the help of supportive spouses.

    3 years of FT School is tough and the pre-reqs are tough but I have created a nice job for myself. And no i dont work FT:)

    Good luck. I love what i do and loved school. IF you love the human body and helping people you would love this profession! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think middle is mediocre. Lately I've been thinking a lot about how I want to invest my time and what my priorities are and what gives my a sense of value or worth.

    Recently I talked with an older woman, a self-described feminist who realized in the sixties and seventies that women weren't always able to find the support they needed as mothers. Primarily because there was such emphasis on equality in the workplace - motherhood was left behind. Women need opportunities to voice frustrations, concerns, ask questions...I think that this blog network is one way to do that.

    But she also said something that made me think: yes, exactly. She said that motherhood is a birthright of women. Essentially, that we should be allowed to enjoy motherhood and be supported in our efforts.

    I've been thinking quite a bit about all of this - defining me, being a mama. I'll likely post my own motherhood manifesto sometime soon.

    In the meantime, don't worry about being mediocre. Enjoy exploring the opportunities. :)

    ReplyDelete