Monday, June 15, 2009

"I just don't get this running stuff"

My parents have been saying this to me for years. I've had to defend my sport against their many complaints. When we had problems getting pregnant, of course it was "because of all that running." Why was Nathan measuring small? "Because of all that running!" And, at least every other time we talk they say "you know you're not going to be able to walk when your old because of all that pounding." Despite providing them with scientific evidence, they still choose to believe that running is a vain and selfish pasttime. Because they don't understand "the obsession," I generally don't tell them about the races I run or the training I am doing. I guess at some point we all have to find our own internal motivation. For the most part, I am able to write it off as generational and personality differences, but this past weekend they crossed the line and really hurt my feelings.

I was so excited about my half-marathon results that I told my mother that I thought I might be able to qualify for the Olympic Marathon Trials if I trained hard enough. Upon hearing this, my mother went into a tizzy. She called my husband on Sunday and told him that she thought that I wasn't being a good mother to Nathan because "of all that running." She said that when she was a mother she put her children first and that I was "doing too much" and creating a stressful environment for Nathan. She also said that "because of all that running" I wasn't making enough milk and was starving Nathan. She thinks that Nathan is falling behind developmentally because he is not getting the nutrition he needs and that I need to stop being pig-headed and start feeding him formula. My wonderful husband, my advocate and partner, came to my defense and tried to assuage her concerns. He told her about the many bios of women who had qualified for the 2008 Olympic Trials while working full-time and raising children. He told her that he supported my decision and that, yes, I was a multi-tasker who always heaps a lot on my plate. He said this was one of the many reasons that he loves me. He said that I was a wonderful mother and that I create a calm, loving home for Nathan.

But, her words have left their scar and I can't help but be hurt that she can't understand what an awesome experience it would be to train and attempt such a lofty goal and that she questions my devotion to Nathan. I really wonder what it would be like to have parents that understood me and respected my values. But, you can't pick your family...you can only pick your friends. Guess this is another opportunity for me to grow some scar tissue.

15 comments:

  1. Wow. :( I am so sorry about your mom. My parents don't get it either, but they've never been cruel about it. Hang in there - we all "get" you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. {{{HUGS}}} I'm sorry your mom just doesn't understand. My parents "get" running, but believe me, there are other areas where they are vocal in their disagreements. So, you are not alone. And thank goodness for friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds tough. I'd guess (influenced a little by the fact that she called your husband), that it's not as much about your running as her own sweeping opinions of how women/moms are supposed to behave. So, in other words, something you probably can't change.

    Keep going for those bad-a$$ mom goals -- for Nathan's sake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. doh, sucks when your parents have blinkers on and can't adjust to the next generation who have found a better way to do things. Can't believe your Mum is so interfering actually...but like Jessica said, sounds like she has her head stuck in her own pile of sand. You - and many others on this blog scene - are an absolute inspiration for finding a modern way to raise a child - and ensure your own personal health and sanity through pursuing your own interests - good for you!! Hopefully your Mum's comments fade quickly into oblivion as you move forward. Oh, and yeah, she crossed the line - do you let that go? Or face her with your husband and make it clear where the line is? Tough one, but if you can just ignore her that's just as good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about this. "All that running" doesn't have to be understood by everyone. But it does hurt when it's your parents saying these things. A couple of years ago, my in-laws were very vocal and mean in their disapproval of us moving abroad and it created a lot of stress, made me desperate for their approval.

    Just makes things feel sucky when you know they don't understand why you're doing what you're doing. And Jessica is probably right. Perhaps your mom's opinion won't change. I had to accept that of my in-laws and just let it be. Stamped approval or not. I still feel upset sometimes. But I don't get all of their decisions so I suppose I can't be too upset that they don't get ours.

    Oh, and I love the OTQ bios. Last year, Runner's World ran a great article featuring a few of the women that ran the 2008 trials and I found their stories inspiring. So much is possible. : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. I'm sorry you are going through this! BUT, so cool that your husband stood up for you.
    It's so hard when someone, anyone, even hints at us not being good moms... but especially your own mom... grrr. My personal opinion is that, at the end of the day, we decide for ourselves if we think we are doing a good job or not. WE DECIDE if the decisions we make are the right ones for our families. Believe me, I go through similar thoughts when I'm out on my bike for hours on end every weekend and then come home and immediately head out the door for a run... But MY DECISION is that it's good for Moana to see her parents strive to achieve their goals, and we spend plenty of other quality time together... Our kids benefit from seeing their moms being active and living our lives.

    I know that doesn't really make things better with your own mom... but my point is to let your conscience be your judge, and if *in your heart* you know you're doing the right thing, then do what you can to not worry about what others say.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, I wish they were more supportive. My parents just think I'm crazy but they respect it and kind of admire it. I'm glad your husband came to your defense.

    ReplyDelete
  8. you know who WILL get all this running stuff? nathan. and don't question for a minute how PROUD he'll be of you, OTQer or not. ugh, that must be so frustrating...but yay for your husband standing up for you, i remember he was having some doubts about your training being to much too but glad he supports you to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear lord! I'm sorry and not to speak ill of your mother, but if my mother had said that to me, I'd quickly point out that being a good mother includes being supportive of your children's efforts, something she IS NOT currently doing.

    Sounds from here like you're an awesome mother.
    And glad your husband is so awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to give your husband a big hug. That's awesome that he came to your defense. But I am terribly sorry about your mom. It's one thing to know that she comes from a different era and just doesn't understand but no matter how much you rationalize it there's no stopping it from hurting when she accuses you of not doing the best you can for your child.

    You know all the reasons why running is good for you AND for Nathan so I won't repeat them but I wish I could shake your mom and make her understand. One day when Nathan is working on achieving his own amazing goals in life you can look back on this and just sigh smugly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't let it get you down. Keep running and striving for your goals. You'll be a better mom for it. I know I am. Thankfully, you have a wonderful supportive husband.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry Missy. I would say that most of want to be accepted by our families but at times we just have to let it go. It hurts when someone questions whether you're being a good mom or not. But you are! Even in the short time we talked and took pictures I knew that you were a mom who loved little Nathan and was extremely concerned for his well being. You just keep up what you're doing. You are awesome and in response to your email, I'll take "when" over "if" any day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. uggh. Well if it makes any difference, I get you.

    I get that you are NOT starving your child...breastmilk in any amount is more nutritional and beneficial than formula ANY DAY. I struggled with this one with my frist from EVERYONE, my parents, friends, even strangers. And my now toddler, who never had formula , is perfectly healthy. healthier than most.

    I also get how much Natahan will BENEFIT from a healthy, active mom who has goals and strives to acheive them. What an amazing example you are leading for him! How few kids can go to school and say "hey my mom qualified for the olympic trials in running"??

    You are his Mom. YOu know what's right and wrong from him. People will always have opinions. Don't let them bring you down, hang in there mama!

    ReplyDelete
  14. (excuse all my spelling errors, we didn't sleep much last night, thank you teething!)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know! He gets into everything now. I am exhausted by 7am trying to keep up. Totally looking forward to the pictures too!

    Keep your chin up about the stuff in this post. One day she'll understand that you are happier when you run so everyone is better off!

    ReplyDelete