As you all know, I was a little nervous going into this race for several reasons and my bare minimum goal was to break 1:30 and my secret wish was to continue to pump out the 6:33/miles that I had done in my two 10 milers in April. I knew there was a chance that I could win the race as the winner last year ran it in 1:28, but I didn't want to get too cocky. The winner from last year had a small baby and I remember thinking that I hoped to be a bad @ss running mother like her some day!
I actually went to the front line so that I could start with the faster people. I usually start farther back because I never think that I am fast enough to run at the front, but I have been trying to change the way I think about myself. There were two women at the front that I recognized from the prior year, including the bad @ss running mom that won last year. I ran for about 5 minutes to warm up and did a couple of strides while waiting for the race to get started. As soon as the gun took off, I tried to keep myself from going out too fast, but did the first mile in 6:10. It felt pretty easy though and I was tempted to keep pumping them out. I actually ran the first 5K in 18:23, which was a PR for me....well, since I've never actually run a 5K, I think it was a PR for me. I decided to slow it down a bit and settled into 6:20/miles. I felt AWESOME even though I swore that the course was some sort of freakish M.C. Esher painting where I couldn't tell up from down. I kept expecting to slow down or feel tired, but it never happened.
Around mile 10 this bald dude passed me and jokingly said "don't let [bad @ss running mom] pass you." At this point, I decided that I wanted to win this race. I could feel her about 1/2 mile behind me and could hear the cheers for her in the distance. I kept plugging along and knew she was getting closer, but I wasn't sure by how much. I was running scared. When I came around the last turn and saw the finish, I knew the race was mine and cruised in to finish in at 1:23:34. The bad @ss mom came in 10 seconds behind me. I felt great...almost as if I could have plugged another 5 miles. I happened to overhear bad @ss mom say that she had just run Boston in 2:58.
OK--question for all you runners...what are you SUPPOSED to feel like after a race? Did I leave too much of myself out there? Should I be puking after races? I have NEVER puked after a race. Also...does this mean that I might be able to break a 3 hour marathon?? I NEVER thought that was possible!!
Now I don't know what to do with myself. I am going to sign up for a fall marathon, but don't know what interim races I should sign up for (other than the two I've already signed up for). How many miles should I be running during the week? How many weeks should I train for the marathon (16?)?
OMG I love this race report!! Congrats on a great RACE! Now YOU are the bad ass running mama. You should change the title of your blog. ;)
ReplyDeleteThat time is AWESOME! Amazing race. Congrats on the win. You can totally do a sub 3 hour marathon.
ReplyDeleteAnd I love the 2 tones of the post. I know what you mean, often I'm just happy with how I did in a race and don't care about others but sometimes people just rub me the wrong way and I want to beat them - BADLY.
I've never puked when I finished a race. I think if you feel like you've given everything you have when you cross the finish line, you have. I think if you are trained enough you recover relatively quickly and feel okay shortly thereafter.
Great race! Love the part about the cliquey gals thinking you were just out too fast. Clearly, I'm way too heavy on the snarky side.
ReplyDeleteNot that I know this from personal experience (ha) but I was just looking at a pace chart that would put you right on target for a perfectly reasonable sub-3. Do it!
Outstanding report! Great run. Well done for kickin' ass.
ReplyDelete16 weeks is perfect for a marathon training plan.
Wow! Congrats! SOOO fast.
ReplyDeleteLove the race report. Love that you beat all of 'em! (Sounds like she deserved an a$$ kickin'!)
Wow! Good race report, excellent race! Can't wait to read your sub-3 marathon report now!
ReplyDeleteHoly crap, woman! That is absolutely awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou can't really use other people to judge your performance. You don't know what they're training was like leading up to the race or whether they were even racing. Also be careful because the running world is a small one especially as you get better. As for puking, I once puked at the end of a half because it was the first day of my period and not because I taxed myself that much. I'd write more but nate is being a fussy p.i.m.a. :)
ReplyDeleteyes sub-3---easily. Nov is a long way away. get a coach to avoid burn out and to capitalize on your fitness. With coach maybe OTQ in a couple of years!
Congrats!!!!
Great report, I love how you organized it. YOU ARE RIDICULOUS - speedster!! way to go, what a great time. I'd be pissed about excuses bad @ss too! You whipped her butt!
ReplyDeletewow, that is simply AWESOME. so nice to hand it to the competition, well done kick-ass Mum!
ReplyDeletebest race report ever! I have no idea how you are supposed to feel, because I've never been that fast (one day!) but I'm so glad you beat the bad @ss running mom. Oh wait, you ARE a bad @ss running mom! Awesome! Congrats!
ReplyDeleteGreat race! Bad a$$ so deserved that a$$ kickingg!
ReplyDeleteI'm nowhere near as fast as you, but I know I've given it my all if I feel like I couldn't run another mile. I've never puked after a race, but I've come close when I've really pushed hard for the finish line.
Good luck with the marathon! Are you still running with that running group? If not, a close friend of mine runs with a group around here and a bunch of them do Boston every year, so she could likely give you some advice on training and running around here.
MCM Mama
Wow! Thanks for all the comments! Please know that this race had a 800ft drop so it was an EASY course! Also, the "snarky" voice was the voice I try to squelch in my head. I try to be a better person than my snarky voice, but she's still in me! I hope that the bad @ss running mother never finds this post b/c I think she would be offended and totally miss that she was my role model last year. I am still not convinced I could run a sub 3 hr marathon...but definitely could run 3:05 or 3:10...I hope! I've never actually been able to get below 3:15!
ReplyDeleteP.S. Salty One...it took me a while, but I figured out (brilliant, right?) that OTQ=Olympic Trial Qualifier! Ha!