I talked to coach today about what pace to set myself at the Fall Marathon. I was thinking 3:05-3:10 might be a realistic goal for me. He seems to think that I could run 2:55 or under. I don't know what he's smokin', but maybe I'll start out a a little under 7 min pace and see if I can keep that pace or go faster. That would put me at 3:03 if I just kept that pace. Coach's big mantra is "start slow, finish fast." Given that I tend to kill myself at the beginning of all my races and then die the last few miles, maybe he's right. I'm trying really hard to remember my last marathons, but I didn't really go into them with a goal time or pace plan. I believe I whipped out some fast miles (6:30 and below) at the beginning of a marathon in 2005, but then died at the end (I believe I finished in 3:16). So, we'll see.
I probably shouldn't do this, but I am guestimating what I can do in the marathon based on how other people I run with are doing in their fall marathons. They have a lot more experience than I do in marathons, so maybe they'll do better than I could given that they are more familiar with the strain, stress, and pacing of running a marathon. There's one girl running a marathon this weekend that I think would be my most likely match. We'll see. I'm excited to go cheer for people that I know at the race; it looks like they'll have pretty good weather on Sunday (unfortunately, nothing but rain for my 20 mile run tomorrow).
In other news, Nugget has been crying when I drop him off at daycare the past two days. It makes me feel as if my heart is breaking in a thousand pieces. Maybe I need to make sure that I have a good hour of quality time with him in the morning? It's usually only 20 minutes of feeding him breakfast, 20 minutes of nursing, 15 minutes of playing. Other than the nursing, I'm usually distracted and doing other things (like eating my own breakfast or getting dressed). Maybe he's more needy because we've been sleep training this week. Or, maybe he just still doesn't feel good. I don't know. It's the worst feeling in the world to walk away from your crying baby.
Hope your run went well this morning! It didn't rain out this way....a little drizzle, but it was windy. Now it's POURING. I have nothing to offer on the pace thing since my one and only marathon was a just finish type of deal! I know he says to start out slow finish fast and keep reading that in the email updates. How fast, or slow I should say, does he tell you to start out?
ReplyDeleteAbout the kiddo...they start getting waaay more into separation anxiety at this age so it might just be that! Unfortunately it usually doesn't peak until about 18 months. Once J reached 18 months he was pretty much ok with me leaving him at gym daycare. Of course he cries at first usually but then he calms down. It's really tough knowing they are unhappy. But hopefully Nathan gets over it more quickly since his caregiver is a constant figure and he knows her! Does she say he calms down pretty fast after you leave him?
all of a sudden, leaving the house when andra is still sleeping doesn't seem so bad...i'm sure nathan is fine once you leave, but sorry you have to hear him cry!
ReplyDelete