After spending some time today with some other people's children, including one particularly awful child, I'm wondering how not to raise an obnoxious child.
Of course, some children just like to test limits and do potentially dangerous things. There's nothing wrong with that...to a point. I don't want to raise an automaton that does whatever I say. But, I'd like to raise a child that is considerate of others and doesn't steamroll other people. How does one do this?
There was an incident today when Nugget was holding a fly swatter and another child approached him and wanted to play with it. I tried to give the fly swatter to the boy and Nugget threw a royal fit. I was at loss what to do about the situation. I explained to the other child that Nugget was having a hard time sharing and we would have to find another toy for him to play with.
Does anyone have any books on parenting they recommend??
Running Stats:
3/1/2010: 5.75 miles @ 9:30* // Bodyflow pm
3/2/2010: 2.5 miles WU, 1200 (4:23) 600 jog, 800 (2:50) 400 jog, 400 (1:20) 200 jog; 1200 (4:21) 600 jog; 1200 (4:21) 600 jog, 800 (2:49) 400 jog, 400 (1:19); 3 mile CD (10 miles)
3/3/2010: 11.2 miles am // 4 miles pm
3/4/2010: 11.2 miles am // 20 minutes yoga pm
3/5/2010: 3 miles WU, 5 miles in 32:08 (6:25 pace), 3 miles CD
3/6/2010: 10.2 miles
3/7/2010: 20.5 miles in 2:29:40 (7:18 pace)
Total Mileage: 84 miles
I'm feeling pretty great despite high mileage, which makes me happy. I think the increased protein is definitely doing the trick! I had a great long run today, finishing out in 6:50 pace for the last few miles. I have a 1/2 marathon in two weeks and am going to attempt to "run through" with a minimal taper, which I've learned in the past does NOT result in my best running, but my goal race is Big Spring Marathon (as it doesn't look like I'm going to get pregnant before then). Got another official negative test result despite perfect timing and two targets. Sigh.
Awesome running!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about the difficulty you're having TTC. I have a friend who is going through the same thing for the first time, and I see how consuming it can be. I don't remember who posted a comment about having a distraction while TTC, but it seems your Boston goal should keep your mind (and body!) busy. Do you have a time goal?
Your running mileage is super impressive. Sorry to hear about the BFN. That stinks. I went through the same thing last week and and it was so depressing. TTC is such an emotional rollercoaster.
ReplyDeleteGreat work on the running miles. I am sitting here now sensing AF coming to visit and not so happy either. I still struggle with the idea that it can take several months to conceive even though the timing for everything is spot on where it needs to be....better luck to us all next month! In the meantime sounds like you are getting in prime form for Boston, awesome!
ReplyDeleteI was hoping somebody actually had a good parenting book suggestion- I'm with you on the desire to raise a considerate kid... without squashing their individuality and personality though of course! My guess is that this age is super tough b/c while they're starting to understand a lot, they're still really too young for real 'discipline'... in a few months though we'll be able to reason with them a little better. I think the best thing we can do now is just be good role models and always keep our calm as parents.
ReplyDeleteSounds like your running is going very well. Got your comment last week too about how you made the decision to have a good track workout. Perfect! And you might surprise yourself with how strongly you can run through a 1/2 marathon without resting... not a massive PR or anything, but you can still run a very strong solid race.
Of course we are at the same age where we are thinking about that. It is a complicated thing, but for now we are working on being good role models and playing games that involve taking turns. Also not giving into the toddler's demand for instant gratification. At least not all the time.
ReplyDeleteIt has to get easier once they can talk and reason a little, right?
I was hoping for some good recommendations too. Sigh. Ella is apparently a sweetheart at the gym's daycare which is fantastic but when she's home with me she is a royal terror. She has just entered the stage of high pitched shrieking when she doesn't get her way. It's terrible and I feel like I'm always putting her in timeout. It's days like today where I want to go back to work. Blah.
ReplyDeleteSorry about the negative test.
ReplyDeleteDamn girl, your mileage is crazy. I thought I had a kick ass week with 54 miles but you put me to shame.
I'm curious to see what book recs you get. I could use the help as well.
I'm trying to remember some good parenting books, but drawing a complete blank. The thing to remember at this age is that it's all about distraction and re-direction.
ReplyDeleteGlad the protein is working for you! And way to go on all the running. I'm finally hitting the mid-30s each week and that's about all my body seems to be able to handle.
BTW, can you send an invite to mom2shoo at gmail? I'm usually logged into blogger with that account and I can't read your blog from there. THX!
MCM Mama
haven't read it, but i want to read "the happiest toddler on the block" since i liked the ideas in "the happiest baby..." i also think some of it dumb luck as to their personality, my friend's 14 month old can be a terror even though we have pretty similar parenting styles.
ReplyDeletelike Clare said, I think it just really goes back to the whole nature vs nurture idea, and that it really is a combo of both. Jackson is a big sweetheart and is super courteous. We've always pushed the "please and thank you's and excuse me, etc. But I think a lot of it really is dependent upon the kid's personality. Jackson has always been a softy so it probably helps. Just keep on doing what you're doing and I'm sure you'll be surprised that he's going to be a sweet boy :-)
ReplyDeleteI was just re-reading through some of your posts and I realized I missed that you had another negative. So sorry to hear that it didn't work. Keeping my fingers crossed for next time!
ReplyDelete