Sunday, March 28, 2010

Training Follies

Experts would never advise taking my training approach for the Big Spring Marathon:

1. Don't really psychologically commit to training for the marathon until 8 weeks prior.
2. Don't get any massages.
3. Don't EVER do an ice-bath.
4. Consistently get too little sleep.
5. Couple training for a marathon with trying to get pregnant.
6. Gain 5 lbs of icecream, cupcakes, bread, peanut butter and jelly.
7. Have a lot of other stressful life issues plus increased work schedule.
8. Use two weeks of a snow storm as an excuse to do barely any speedwork.
9. Don't do any core work (despite promising yourself that you would do abs 3x/week).
10. Routinely find excuses to cut speed workouts short.

Despite all of my bad behavior training-wise, things seem to be going really well. I had an awesome week with my highest mileage EVER, which I was really pleased with. My legs were a little tapped out during the speed workouts because of the race last weekend, but I really can't complain.

Weekly Mileage
3/21/2010: 6.5 miles, BodyFlow
3/22/2010: 2.5 miles WU, 4 x 1200 (4:35 (coach made us go slow), 4:24, 4:21, 4:14), 4 miles CD (10.5 miles total) // 30 minutes yoga, 2 mile walk
3/23/2010: 12 miles am // 4 miles pm
3/24/2010: 11 miles am // 3 miles pm
3/25/2010: 3 miles WU, 3 miles (6:26, 6:16, 6:15), 4 miles CD
3/26/2010: 10 miles
3/27/2010: 22 miles (ave. 7:25 w/ last 7 miles at 6:25-6:35)
Total Mileage: 89 miles

Three weeks til Big Spring Marathon! Eeee!

Question: I felt like I was chomping at the bit the entire long run, wanting to go faster, but the guys I was running with kept yelling at me to go slower. Should I have gone faster? I don't know whether I should be doing my long runs at a faster pace.

9 comments:

  1. Sometimes it's when we don't try so hard that things really come together. It's awesome when that happens! I can't wait to track all my Boston buddies on marathon Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap that's a lot of miles!!! and awesome job at getting it all in midst all of the other stuff. Maybe those extra 5 pounds are helping you :-). Ya never know! It's a good excuse to keep on eating the good stuff anyway. I just realized that my family is going to be in town during Boston. Can I get a "wha-wa"a for DVR!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing mileage! Eeps. What is your taper looking like?

    I think you reach a point when running that - even with consistently long daily runs - your body adjusts and decides: hey, I can do this. It's been awhile since I've stacked long runs two or three days in a row, but I remember being surprised by how (not easy, but) do-able they were after my body got used to the jump. Sounds like you're more than ready for Boston!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When you rock Boston it will be that much more impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mileage just blows me away. And I think Salty said it above, sometimes it's when you have a lot going on and don't take it so seriously that you get your best results. I think your training times are proving that's true. I've got a good vibe about Boston for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you're doing great! No need to thrash yourself into oblivion on long runs... sounds like the 7 mile progression you did was perfect. Can't wait to hear how Boston goes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know why my posts don't show up! Argh.

    That's some awesome training there. Holy crow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with the other comments about when things don't go 100% perfect, they can still come together and you can have an amazing performance. I know I say this all the time, but your mileage is beyond amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never know about the long runs and what pace to run at, but you being practically a pro athlete, I'm sure you are doing fine- Your training approach sounds fine to me! I know you will do great.

    ReplyDelete