Official time: 2:59
I'm pretty disappointed with my race. Only 20 seconds faster than my fall marathon. I think my marathon days are over. I really hoped to get 2:55-2:57 and thought this race would be a bellweather as to whether I should really dig into training harder to get down to a OTQ time, but I didn't. Given all the time, effort, and pain involved in marathon training, I'm not sure I'd want to run more only to match my time as 2:59 seems to be my destined PR. Plus, I'd actually prefer running half-marathons and 10-milers. They are easier to absorb in our schedules and don't consume massive amounts of our weekend time together.
Mile Splits:
Ave: 6:46
1: 6:51
2: 6:41
3: 6:38
4: 6:33
5: 6:45
6: 6:36
7: 6:39
8: 6:40
9: 6:37
10: 6:41
11: 6:41
12: 6:33
13: 6:35
14: 6:41
15: 6:53
16: 6:33
17: 6:59
18: 7:01
19: 6:44
20: 6:48
21: 7:23
22: 6:36
23: 6:51
24: 7:02
25: 6:51
26: 7:10
0.2: 6:34
And, now, on to FET. I start my meds tomorrow. (Side story for later: RE switched us to FET at the last minute. 50% chance of working...and we're putting in both embryos. 20% chance of twins! ahhh!)
Don't be too hard on yourself!!! I hope you have a great day!
ReplyDeleteWhat???? I'd say Boston is also a tougher course in many ways - the hills, the later start time, bigger crowd to contend with...give yourself a break!! You've been through a lot the past few months.
ReplyDeleteThat is an amazing time and on a tough course! You are being way too hard on yourself. And you were training for Boston while full of hormones and trying to get preggo. That is not an easy combination. Once you are done having kids and can focus on training without being torn about trying to get pregnant just imagine how fast you can go.
ReplyDeleteHey that is an amazing time; considering the stresses of the past few months, extra weight/hormones, not really an ideal mental buildup - and you held to your PR on a tough course? I think that is awesome. Now take a break, enjoy those halfs/10km, focus on having a child (well, not "focus", just give your body the best chance to get/maintain pregnancy)...you will comeback a stronger marathoner later when it's right. Fingers and toes crossed for your FET, sending positive vibes your way (BFP vibes!!)
ReplyDeleteI think that you had an amazing performance on a tough course. Congrats! And good luck with the FET.
ReplyDeleteFirst, don't sell your running talent short! That's a great time just a few months after another great effort on a tougher course. Plus you had a lot on your plate these last few months. I totally think you have an OTQ in you!
ReplyDeleteSecond, the mom in me totally relates about wanting to hang up the marathon shoes. It's too much and too much riding on one race. It's hard enough to have all the stars align when there are no kids keeping you up all night, nursing, taking up a year of training, etc. Plus, it's hard to get away for 3 hours at a time to run when there's other stuff that needs to get done. I'm so with you there. But I still think you have an OTQ in you! You were 75th in the Boston Marathon! That's seriously beyond great!
Third, good luck with the next chapter! Can't wait to hear all about the joys of your first trimester :)
i wonder if you will change your mind...or at least feel better about the race...with more time/perspective. maybe i am naive (and slow), but to miss a marathon goal by 2 minutes seems awesome given course conditions and things just beyond your control (including plain old LIFE with a toddler). BUT, good luck with the FET!!!
ReplyDeleteI think previous comments are right on. Boston is tough and you managed to break three hours again! Perhaps you'll return to Boston another year knowing even better what to expect from the course. I do understand what you say about the time commitment and Salty's echo that on race day a lot rides on things aligning just so. With family now, it becomes a tougher pursuit. OTQ might be in you yet - see what you feel after the second baby starts sleeping through the night. Or babies. : ) Good luck with FET.
ReplyDeleteI agree with everyone else. Boston is TOUGH!! That you did better than Richmond with everything on your plate is amazing. But hey, take a break for now and enjoy as much of life as you possibly can. Hugs to you!
ReplyDeleteHey you ran a phenomenal race. I think maybe all of us going in were just a little aggressive given the special circumstances that come with running Boston. Late start, exhausting weekend, winter training, etc. You really never fell off too badly on your splits, you should be really proud of your effort. We'll feel better about our performances in a few weeks once it all soaks in.
ReplyDeleteSo for some reason my original post never posted. Good thing I came back here to see if more people gave you some inspirational feel-good postings :-).
ReplyDeleteI wanted to say congrats on a great race. You are just too darn hard on yourself! You ran a great race! I know it's hard when you don't meet your personal goals but you really need to be happy with your time. You had so much going on in your life!! Congrats and good luck with the FET. Fingers crossed for you guys!
Congrats on a great race! That is an awesome time for Boston.
ReplyDeleteBut backing away from the marathon for a while to focus on other things is not a bad thing. You are young yet. You'll be able to come back after a break if you want to.
Fingers crossed that the FET works!
how was the whole experience? I don't think you should hang up your shoes! You have alot going on with other things, so after #2 make a comeback - you weren't even sure if you were going to do Boston. I think you did great and you are super speedy! And I do think the course is tougher too.
ReplyDeletehey Running Mama, Just posting again to say I hope all is going well with the meds and the FET...hope you're enjoying the mental side of recovering and just enjoying life outside of marathon training....fingers crossed!
ReplyDelete