I think I'm about to lose my mind. I feel a bit diametrically opposed, two parts in one, and not sure of the direction I am going.
Over the course of one week, I will have:
--had my first homestudy interview
--gone to an adoption agency interview
--gone to an accupuncturist for fertility treatment
--bought Dr. Beer's book "Is Your Body Baby Friendly"
--had a con call with Dr. Corley from SIRM
--driven to NJ for an initial blood work-up at RMA for any genetic issues and SIRM for immune issues
--set up a meeting with Cornell for next week
--set up a meeting with an adoption attorney for the following week
After our first homestudy and the adoption agency meeting, I felt calm, at peace. Going to the adoption agency and learning about all the support they provide in terms of support groups, training, etc., I felt welcomed into a new sub-group. A place where I could belong. A place where others would understand my pain and struggle. A place of healing. We could have a child. While it wouldn't be our biological child, and in some ways we would always be "broken," we would be making a choice to hope for the best, to embrace that our truest heart's desire is to love a child and have a family.
But, at the same time, I reeled at the thought of never carrying another baby. Of being the odd person out at baby showers. The broken one. And, I know that this is my perspective. I won't say that I loved every minute of being pregnant. Labor and afterbirth was hell. But, It had it's amazing moments. To create life. To feel my little man moving in my body. Those were some of the most precious moments in my life. For me to admit and accept that they might never happen again seems too much to bear.
My straight-A student, try harder indignance comes out and I want to fight for my biological child. Do all the research. Try all the tests. Make sure that I exhaust myself completely in this journey for another biological child.
Then I grow weary. Tired of the struggle. Tired of trying to figure out whether the doctors have an agenda, can be trusted, and are doing everything in their power to get me pregnant. I just want a break from it all. From life. From my mother calling every day to remind me "how lucky we are to have Nuggett" and that I shouldn't "mope around" and I "need to get in the spirit of Christmas." (From the woman that got pregnant on her first try with all four children.)
I am not in much of a commenting state of mind today, but had to pop in and say hello. This is a really articulate, raw, honest, moving, beautiful post. I think you are doing awesome. I'm sure the sensation of having one foot on one raft and the other foot on a different raft does not feel especially "pleasant" or natural. But it's where you are right now and that is FINE. You are exploring ALL of your options. And you are expanding your family, however that might be. That is a beautiful, wonderful thing.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to hear more about the SIRM consult. I've gotten some icky replies when I posted lining and E2 Qs on their message board. But then again, I love that they have REs responding to random Qs from people like me.
Secondary infertility is such a herd journey. and there doesn't seem to be many answers. I hope you get to build the family of your deams genetic or not. take care
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry things are so hard right now. We pursued treatment while filling out adoption paperwork and it was reallyl hard...we wanted to have two plans going but it was sometimes confusing. Then when our fifth IVF failed we got sidelined and put the adoption on hold because we were too upset to do anything...
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry about your Mom's comments. I hope you feel some happiness through the holidays without it being forced! Hang in there!
Ugh. If you want to hide under a table, I'd be completely supportive. *hug*
ReplyDeletei'm right here with you!!! i feel like i should pursue adoption right now just to have a final back up plan, but i'm just not sure that i can handle it all right now. thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteWow, that's a lot to handle all at once. You are doing great things, so be proud. You sound like a strong woman.
ReplyDeleteI think it's really unfair for people to tell you to stop dreaming about another child. You have every right to have as many kids as you want and deserve!
Thanks for stopping by my blog! DOR just sucks. No way around it. Let's get our BFPs this time!