Last week, I went back and read the posts that I had written this time last year when I was in New Jersey for our fourth IVF cycle (third fresh cycle). I spent that week silent in a hotel that catered to business men in the middle of a winter snow storm leaving only for doctor's appointments and ravenous trips to Whole Foods. The cycle sucked as my cycles tend to do: only six follicles that resulted in two good looking embryos. Sitting alone in my hotel room, I had nothing to do but obsess about the cycle, our situation in life, and the hopelessness of it all.
I wrote some good sh*t. I guess I need a little melancholy to get in touch with my inner poet.
One of my favorite pieces from that period:
I feel so OUT OF PLACE. I have no friends, no colleagues, no business, no family in the region and feel as if I am conducting some sort of anthropological study of the humans here. Trying to figure out how to blend in despite feeling sorely misplaced. Which is really a larger parallel to finding my place in this fecund world where procreation is a choice not always a blessing. I miss my husband and, more than anything, I miss my little Nugget and his marker smudged palms.
While I feel less misplaced from the "fecund world," there are still moments when I feel ungrounded and realize how separate my perspective is from the majority of my peers. At the hospital with Baby Girl, the nurses kept making off-hand comments about "we'll see you next time" or "aren't you ready for a third?" Sometimes, I just smiled and nodded. Other times, I said that we had to work really hard to have our two children and the likelihood that we would be able to have a third was really slim.
With two children, I feel that my masquerade is complete; our infertility is sufficiently hidden. We have two children. Why should anyone guess that we had fertility issues? I find that I have become very private about our infertility. I don't want to offer the information. I know I shouldn't be embarrassed by it...but I am. To be honest, I've actually been avoiding returning to my running club because I'm pretty sure everyone knows why I haven't been training with them for the past two years. I just don't want to be the subject of whispers: "you know WHY she didn't run for us the past two years: she had to do IVF." As much as the judgement of others shouldn't matter and ultimately DOES NOT matter...for some reason I have become extremely paranoid about it. I know this falls into the category of "sh*t you are just going to have to SUCK UP and GET OVER." And, I know that will happen with time. I hope that will have to happen with time.
On February 2nd, 2011, while waiting for our embryologist report following retrieval, I wrote:
Dear Mr. Groundhog,
Will I get the news today that my winter is going to carry on forever? That I will never see spring. That our ability to have biological children is nill? Or, will I wake up tomorrow renewed, with hope for the future, and a chance for a child?
Please tell me, Mr. Groundhog. I can't stand the suspense. My heart is rapidly beating, I can't take a deep breath for the fear that is constricting my lungs.
********************************************************************
We were so hopeful for that cycle. After it failed, I spent the next two months on the sofa, barely breathing, never sleeping, defeated. If only I could go back in time and tell myself that I would be holding a precious Baby Girl in a year...but, had I not been through that dark period...I would not be the person I am today.
Wow, it's really interesting to look back like that. I'm so happy to see where you are today. I really admire you for getting through all of that. I hope to follow in your foot steps.
ReplyDeleteYou give me hope. Next year at this time, maybe things will be different.
ReplyDeletexoxo
Amazing what a difference a year makes, isn't it? :)
ReplyDeleteI remember that snowstorm, and the blondies I never did get to deliver ... someday, I will make good on the offer.
Ah, what a contrast a year can present, I am so happy things turned around from your dark period. I wish you luck resuming running with your club - guess you'll be running on your own in training regardless; most people are too wrapped up in their own lives and issues to seriously judge someone for not being around for 2 years though...
ReplyDeleteInfertility really takes a toll on ones life, huh? It puts you in such a holding pattern, that life just seems stale and on pause. And I agree, infertility stays with you. I am still jealous of others who have babies easily and freely and as many as they want. I"m in the "club" now, but I still don't feel like I quite fit in. It's funny though that you've become quite about your infertility and i've become more open about it... not to any detailed extent, but just about the fact that twins came from IVF, when it's appropriate. I wonder if I would feel that way if I was having only one... I bet not.... I'm glad your dark period is over.
ReplyDeletehey - i just wanted to say hi and thank you for your comments on my post the other day. I really needed to hear that. I might need to hear it again too :)
ReplyDelete