Tuesday, February 12, 2013

What Happened

It was more than I could process and it certainly something I didn't feel comfortable processing out loud...particularly in our ALI community.  I didn't want to hurt any one's feelings.  I didn't want to say the terrible things I was thinking.  I was scared.

When we went in for our first ultrasound, there were two sacs.

Two.

After 6 (of our 8 total) cycles of transferring 2-3 embryos....we ended up with two sacs NOW.  We were bereft.  Why couldn't this have happened when we were trying for #1 or #2 when I was 29/31/32?  How on earth would we handle 3 kids under 19 months (or younger if they came early)?  There are so many risks with twins.  What would happen if there was something seriously wrong with them because they were born too early?  How would we afford this?  Where would we put them?  We'd have to move, hire help, get a new car, etc., etc., etc.  I cried for weeks.

And, then....one of them stopped progressing.  We lost her.  I think of the baby as my girl.

I felt relief.  At first.

I refuse to accept the pregnancy.  I assume it won't work out.  And, when we made it to twelve weeks and got the news that the remaining fetus was a healthy boy, I cried.  I've been crying off and on for the past three weeks.  I am trying not to tell people that I am pregnant because this pregnancy is so twinged with pain.  People expect you to be happy, excited when you tell them that you are pregnant.  But, I am just sad.  I feel like we pushed too much.  We should have been thankful for our two beautiful children and now we are going to be punished.  Something bad will happen. We were too greedy.

I am also deeply afraid that I won't be able to give my children the love and attention they deserve.  I wake up in the middle of the night worrying about it.  My parents, though well meaning, are deeply practical people that never paid much attention to my personality or interests.  They were so overwhelmed with managing four children that they just didn't have the emotional bandwidth to really look at me as an individual.  They still don't.  Every year for Christmas, I get the exact same sweater or dish-dryer or vacuum or WHATEVER....because my parents can't be bothered to figure out who I am and what interests me.  I don't fault them for it.  But, I know that isn't the type of parent that I want to be to my children and....I feel so overwhelmed managing work and speech therapy appointments for my son and keeping up with the house and trying to plan special activities for my kids and keeping up with photo albums and doing all the things that my whiny brat self didn't think I got as a kid.  How am I going to manage with three kids?  Will I be able to have a career or anything for myself if my utmost value is to provide my kids with love and specialized attention?

I am sorry I left with out so much as a good bye. It was just more than I could handle.

8 comments:

  1. That's okay, totally understandable, wow what a rollercoaster for you; i am so excited this last ditch attempt to get pregnant was successful, I am sorry for the loss of one twin but I am puling for you and the health of the remaining pregnancy. YOU WILL BE FINE. especially being as aware as you are of what you'd like to do better as a parent. heck I had those fears with just one child, I've heard once you are past 2 kids it comes all a little more naturally? If your value is to provide your kids with love and attention start out with JUST THAT (which is a lot in itself). there will come more of a time for your career...BUT one thing at a time, I am so pleased for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. totally get it!

    hugs to you and congrats on this pregnancy. Update soon...when are you due?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, friend. I get it.

    I'm so sorry that you're on this rollercoaster ... and while I can't promise you that everything will work out OK, I know this: that you are not your parents, that this pregnancy is not other pregnancies, that you find, as the title of your blog says, more room in your heart.

    Holding you in mine tonight, and through this difficult journey.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get it--remember I was the one who made my husband get a vasectomy after our adoption was complete because I never realized how completely and utterly all encompassing parenting is! Not to say that you won't do fine with three kiddos--I know you will--because, as the previous commenter reminded us, there is always more room in your heart. Sorry it's been an emotional journey with all the ups and downs but all you can do is take the feelings as they come. Approach it all like a marathon: one mile at a time. Sometimes one step/one breath at a time :) You'll get through it all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your doing ok. i was a bit worried when you dropped out for a while but completly understand why you did. You will be a great mum to three kidlets. sorry to hear you lost one twin. but glad you are able to focus on the life that is still with you. praying the rest of this pregnancy is smooth sailing.
    take care

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad you are back...so much for you to process! i'm sure if you had a crystal ball you'd see that in a few years all will be ok (not that it will take that long!). and i bet in 30 years your kids will be thinking that, for all your good intentions, there was SOMETHING you think you did great that they wish you'd done differently, so do your best but don't stress about being perfect. your kids will thrive i'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what a rollercoaster! I can empathize with how you felt though. We also saw a second sac at our first ultrasound and it was scary. Three kids sounds scary and exciting, but four would cause drastic changes in our lives.

    Personally, I hope that all the work that three kids require sounds more daunting than it is in reality. I think you just get into a rhythm and make things work. For example, if it's important to you to spend time to enjoy each child individually, then maybe you'll make the effort to carve out some time, maybe a Sunday morning breakfast at a local cafe after your run, for just the two of you. And you'll rotate. Or whatever solution works for you.

    And the same thing with fitting your career into this puzzle. You'll look at the options and figure it out.

    I don't know...but it will work out. Glad to hear that things are progressing well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was so happy to check your blog and see that you had some entries. I've been thinking about you over the past few months. I'm so sorry about the loss of your twin, and I hope that the news going forward on baby boy is positive. My husband & I have been trying for # 3 for 8 months, and each time AF arrives I start to lose more and more hope that it will happen for us. Then like you, I think, OMG, if it does happen, will everything be alright? B/c we've already been blessed with 2 healthy kids and we deserve some bad things coming to us. Then I stop and realize how crazy - and normal - it sounds! Please know that your posts make perfect sense, and you have every right to feel the way you do. Please keep us updated! I'll be sending my wishes your way. Best, Michelle

    ReplyDelete