Saturday, March 28, 2009

Double-Edged Sword

A training plan is a beautiful thing. Your life, your plans, laid out before you directing you toward your goals. Part of me loves the training plan. I get upset if my plan is not met. For example, earlier this week, due to the car dealership (surprise) taking 2xs as long to do a simple check-up on the car I had to miss a spin class. I realized later that I spent the better part of two days irritated that I missed the spin class and that my whole plan for the week was off kilter.

The other part...the adolescent, rebellious aspect of my personality...hates to FREAKING do ANYTHING anyone else tells me to! It seems that after one week of perfect training that I feel that things are too precise and I self-sabotage. Let's see. It's 9 am and I am supposed to be half-way through a 16 mile run. But, Chill Runner canceled on me (again), it's raining and cold, and I am dead tired after a week of Nathan waking up every 2-3 hours, so here I sit...nursing Nathan and trying to figure out when the heck I am going to fit in a long run now. There's something wonderfully glutenous about sleeping in when you know you should be out running.

I guess the real beauty of training plans is that they are a PLAN and things don't necessarily have to adhere to the plan.

Breastfeeding Update: We have issued a no-talking rule while Nathan is feeding...which has resulted in some interesting adaptations in self-created sign language and phantom librarians scream-whispering SHHHHH. Trying to create a quiet environment seems to be helping some. Nathan has taken to eating more frequently at night when he is tired. Just to be sure he was gaining enough weight, I took him to the dr's office and he weighed in at 13 lbs 8 oz. That means he's gained 10 oz in the past 2 weeks, which definitely has him on target for a 1 lb gain in a month. So, I am less worried about it.

Sofa Update: We are still debating the d@mn sofa. I just want to make a decision and move on with life...but seeing as we have waited 7 years to buy a new sofa I want to make sure that we are making the right decision. I invested about $20 in decorating magazines and have been pouring over them this week to figure out what I like.

The Best Update of Them All: I just booked us a trip to Puerto Rico at the end of April!! Hubby's company was bought by another company and he found out that he is going to be losing all of his leave, so we decided to go on a mini-vacation. I'm not sure about the wisdom in taking a baby on such a trip...but we are renting a car with a carseat and staying in a hotel that caters to families with children. I'll let you all know how it goes.

6 comments:

  1. What a great treat - a surprise vacation! And I hear you about the sofa debate. Whenever it comes time for a major purchase, I agonize and second guess. I need to learn to make a decision and not think of fifty reasons why it was the wrong choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That trip sounds great. It'll be interesting how vacations with a baby compare to vacations pre-baby.

    And I am a slave to the training plan. I need structure. Probably comes from being coached in a sport as long as I have a memory of existing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm, chill runner isn't the best training partner if she is cancelling. I hate that! the trip sounds like a great plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i used to freak out if i missed planned workouts too. now, not so much...i'm still in lazy mode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for a nice vacation. Is Nathan still in a baby bucket? I'd definitely take his carseat. The ones that I've seen at rental places leave a lot to be desired. Just my experience.

    Too bad I'm so much slower than you. I'd meet up with you otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We just got back from St John with Ben (5.5 months now). He loved the ocean and the pool at the rental house!

    Be ready to spend lots of time applying sunscreen to the baby, though - we were so happy we managed to get him through the week with no burn.

    ReplyDelete