Thursday, June 4, 2009

Getting Ready to Head to West By God

We leave tomorrow morning for the 1/2 marathon. In true Type-A style, we have completely booked our weekend:

Friday: Drive to marathon; Lunch with my hubby's brother and Dinner with hubby's co-worker and wife who recently moved to university town because the wife got a tenured professor position there

Saturday: Race in the AM; Fish Fry with hubby's cousins for Lunch; Dinner with hubby's friends from university

Sunday: Drive home

I'm trying not to stress too much about the race and am hoping to get under 1:30, but we'll see.

I'm sure to come back with interesting stories from WV. Hubby's family fits the typical WV red neck stereotype...double-wide trailer and all. I swear half of them have been on the Jerry Springer show or at least have stories that could have been a Jerry Springer script.

  • Like his cousin who taught the mother of his child to drive BECAUSE SHE WAS 14 WHEN SHE GOT PREGNANT.
  • Or his other cousin that thought he could get on Jack-Ass by video-taping one of his friends trying to jump over a moving car (the guy broke both legs).*
  • Or his grandfather who didn't pay taxes for 15 years and, when the IRS agent asked him what he was thinking, replied "I didn't think I'd be alive when you caught me."
  • Or his other grandfather who jerry-rigged a copper wire to a telephone pole to get phone service.
  • Or his great-grandmother who lives in a town so small that all you have to do to send her mail is write her first and last name and Matheny, WV.
  • Or his mother who duct-taped the wall-paper back up on the wall when it fell off after the radiator broke FOUR YEARS AGO.
  • Or my own lovely husband who offered to get his mom a prostitute when he was 13 years old because he thought that she was lonely as a single mom.

Anyway, there will definitely be some sort of interesting story out of this weekend...if not an interesting race report. My hubby is running the half-marathon, too. He's hoping to finish the race before the afternoon.**

*Available on YouTube.

**The race starts at 9 a.m.

9 comments:

  1. I'm LMAO! I thought my husband's family was "special", but your husband's may (just barely) trump his.

    Good luck in the race!!

    MCM Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck this weekend! Those are great stories about your husband's family. I think duct taping the wallpaper is my favorite.

    Excited to run with you next Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She also duct-tapes the cracks in the ceiling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck this weekend, I can't wait to hear about this crazy weekend!

    So fun you are running w/ angela next week, lucky to have a running partner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there, per your question, I think they use 3-5 pound weights. I have 8 lb ones that I use, and when we were away I used Nick! that hurt. So light weights is what they use!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck!
    Your in-laws are hilarious. They don't sound savvy enough to read blogs, so you could be in luck. I could write a book about my family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My hometown is the same way (about the mail). I sent some Christmas cards out when in Iraq and they were all returned because of "insufficient address." I had to go to the post office and explain they would indeed arrive at the other end just fine :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Can't wait to hear some stories. And good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude! I saw the results for the half. NICE JOB!! WOW! 6:30's?! Try 6:22 pace for a TRAIL half!!! That is just nuts. I wish we lived close to I could train with you and your magic fast running dust would rub off on me :)

    ReplyDelete