I'm too depressed about my loss of milk supply (doesn't seem to be picking up despite pumping binge) and the thought of another week of work to write anything positive. Plus, I got on the scale for the first time in 3 or 4 weeks and I have gained 5 lbs. Lovely. I was only 2 lbs away from my goal weight and now I am right back where I was a couple of months ago. I am loathe to do this...but I think it is time to start counting calories. If I am honest with myself, I have been eating like a hog and considering I am not really breast feeding any more, the weight gain shouldn't come as a surprise. But, I feel like it was just throwing salt in the wound with my depression over losing my milk supply. I also haven't been doing my 2nd workouts...yoga or weights or spin because I want to spend every spare moment with Nathan and it feels glutenous with my MIL living here.
Got. to. get. out. of. this. funk.
My 1/2 marathon is next weekend and I was really hoping to be able to keep up the 6:33/mile pace I'd had at the 10 milers I ran in April. We'll see. Now that I got all this extra booty to carry around, I don't know that it is feasible.
Weekly Mileage:
Monday, May 25, 2009: 75 minutes elliptical
Tuesday, May 26, 2009: 30 minutes Power Yoga, Track Workout: 0.75 mile warm-up, 2 x 1600 w/ 400 laps; 2 x 800 w/ 400 laps; 1 x 400; 1.5 mile cool down (~6.5 miles)
Wednesday, May 27, 2009: 10 miles
Thursday, May 28, 2009: 9.4 miles
Friday, May 29, 2009: 9.4 miles
Saturday, May 30, 2009: 9.4 miles
Sunday, May 31, 2009: 12.5 miles
Total Mileage: 57.2 miles
I hope your week gets off to a good start. Try not to fret too much (this from a woman who frets too much). If you want yoga or weights, carve a bit of time once or twice this week. As for the weight gain, take that in stride too. Bodies fluctuate. And you're in the middle of a major transition: going back to work, hosting your MIL, trying to figure out your milk supply. Be nice to yourself. When you run this week, be mindful of the pleasure it brings. And as you prepare for the half, set a goal you think is reasonable but won't stress you out to train for and attain. You'll have many, many more races to run super fast. This one might be a good one to enjoy without a time pressure. I hope you have a wonderful week!
ReplyDeleteI'm 5 lbs from goal weight too. But seriously, let your body do what it needs to do. It really won;t make much of a difference with your running. If you start freaking about your weight and your milk supply you're definitely not going to get the supply up. Plus, my weight right now fluctuates quite a bit--I can be anywhere from 130 to 135 on any given day and on the other end of that spectrum the next. I chalk it up to full or empty hoots and water retention from hormones or something. Who knows?!
ReplyDeleteYou're going through a HUGE change. Cut yourself some slack. Do what you need to do and be very kind to yourself for the next couple of months. You probably experiencing a lot of mixed feelings and a sense of loss and fear about this new uncharted territory. Oh and some serious stress! I've been there. Hey, I'm there now! You know where to find me if you want to talk more :)
Hang in there!
i agree with salty that 5 lbs (which might or might not be there tomorrow) won't affect your running...at least not as much as your mental state! relax...it'll all work out, just not necessarily on your schedule. you'll lose the weight, you'll be fast, you'll get the extra workouts in. (or so i tell myself, also up 5, maybe more, pounds.)
ReplyDeleteMy weight before pregnancy used to be the same - I mean for years only fluctated 1-2 pounds no matter what I did. Now I seem to fluctuate about 5 pounds, honestly, sometimes from day to day. I know it's hard not to worry about but if you are trying to get your supply back up, I wouldn't count calories just yet.
ReplyDeleteI found my supply dropped when I first back to work and then it adjusted to the new pumping schedule and it plateaued, so even thought it dropped it didn't continue to drop past a certain point and maybe you'll find the same thing.
wow you haven't even complained much about MIL. Just try to be more aware for a couple days and see where you can cut back. I don't think the 'extra booty;(cracked me up!) will slow you down, you can do it!
ReplyDeleteHang in there! You have a lot of stuff going on and it's not all uncommon for a little "stress" weight to sneak on. You'll get settled into a routine before too long and find ways to sneak in extra exercise - maybe not as much as before, but some. As someone else said, maybe you should run this race for fun rather than add extra pressure on yourself.
ReplyDeleteAs a mom to two (7 and 3), it DOES get easier to find ways to work in exercise and while there will always be worries and stress now that you have a child, they do become less "all consuming" than they are now.
MCM Mama
6:30m/m pace?! Wow! I don't think I can drive that fast.
ReplyDeleteI would love to say don't worry about the weight, but that would be quite contradictory. I've been quite hard on myself too. Wish I could relax more, but I've always been the same.