Things seem to actually be getting better with the quad...although I have lost a lot of fitness in the past 5 weeks. I was able to hobble through a 20 mile run today at a 7:56 pace. I couldn't keep up with the fast folks who were pumping out 7-7:30 miles. So, maybe I will be OK with the Fall marathon...I still have 9 weeks. I'm still not doing any speed work except tempos as per Coach's advice.
I did something today I haven't had the guts to do...an ice bath. It was freaking miserable for the first 5 minutes, but I told myself that if I can have a baby, I can stand cold water for 5 minutes. Plus, all of you other ladies are doing them, so I have to (wo)man up! I can't really tell if it made a difference in my recovery, though.
Here's my weekly mileage for the past two weeks:
Monday, August 31, 2009: 7 miles
Tuesday, September 1, 2009: 9.4 miles
Wednesday, September 2, 2009: 10 miles
Thursday, September 3, 2009: 8.6 miles
Friday, September 4, 2009: 6 miles w/ 3 @ 6:15 pace
Saturday, September 5, 2009: 8.6 miles
Sunday, September 6, 2009: 18.5-19.5 miles @ some really really slow pace; it was all freaking up hill!
Total Mileage: ~68.6 miles
Monday, September 7, 2009: complete rest day b/c was exhausted from long run
Tuesday, September 8, 2009: 9.4 miles
Wednesday, September 9, 2009: 9.4 miles am/4.4 miles pm
Thursday, September 10, 2009: 9 miles
Friday, September 11, 2009: 10 miles
Saturday, September 12, 2009: 8.6 miles
Sunday, September 13, 2009: 20 miles @ 7:56 pace
Total Mileage: 70.8 miles (first time breaking 70 miles ever!)
That is some serious mileage! And I don't take many ice baths because they scare me, and typically once I get home David is handing of an active Zach, but the worst part is just getting in.
ReplyDeleteYour running mileage is freakin' amazing!!! WOW, I am so impressed. After I recover from my injury, I am hoping to work up to consistently more than 20 miles per week (yeah, I am a total slacker with run mileage). You have totally inspired me.
ReplyDeleteI have never done an ice bath either, but think I might start once I get back to training.
I LOVE ice baths. Maybe bc it's so freakin hot here most of the time. I need an ice bath just to bring my core temperature back down to normal (though yesterday that didn't even work as I was just HOT for hours after that training day.) Anyway, I am *completely* convinced that taking ice baths helps with my recovery and allows me to go hard again the following day.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on being so consistent with your mileage. I almost hit 50 miles this week, which would have been a first for me. Thought about running 2 more miles just to say I did it, but then remembered that I'm not trying to win against my training log. LOL.
7:56 pace for 20 miles sickens me in the "I am so jealous woe-is-me" sort of way, haha! GREAT JOB. Ice baths suuuck :)
ReplyDeleteI had to ice bath my foot once and that about killed me. Don't know how you went all the way. Wow.
ReplyDeletei wish i was as out of shape as you.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on overcoming your fear! ;) I am such a wimp on the ice baths....they hurt like a mother. ;)
ReplyDeleteI love ice baths. We did them all the time for rugby during 2 day tournaments and felt so much fresher the next day. Getting back in a cold lake after a tri is terrific too.
ReplyDeleteI love the Adirondacks winter and summer. My parents get a house not far from Saranac Lake (High Peaks Region). For New Year's, I bet in or around Lake Placid would be terrific. Cozy restaurants, Whiteface, cross country skiing/ snowshoeing trails. I spent Y2K new years in Lake Placid and had a great time.
I think they have helped me.. it is hard though! It definitely helps to sit there w/ a hoodie on and have a magazine or distractor!
ReplyDeleteIce baths are the way forward. Big sweater and a cup of tea though.
ReplyDeleteMy last ice bath was seven years ago. I'm due for another one soon. Be wise with your training and I'm sure Richmond will be good to you. Seems like the coaching is helping - I'll have to consider that when I'm in a place to line up more than one or two races a year. Take care.
ReplyDeleteUmmm, wow! Highly impressive!! I wish I could run 20 miles at that pace.....for a training run :-) I'll try and be happy at my 9-930 pace during long runs :-)
ReplyDeletehaha, "hobbling" at a 7.56 pace :) take my legs girl and then see what "hobbling" is all about! glad to hear you're out there running though, talk about big miles! I tried an ice bath once after a half marathon and it was mentally very tough (though Brett threw a towel in the warm dryer for me to wrap around after). Found I kept forgetting to have ice ready for after my workouts so had a lot of cold (more bearable) baths instead!!
ReplyDelete