Sunday, February 28, 2010

Racing Weight

In attepts to figure out why I've been feeling so flat, I've been reading a lot about fueling for long distance training. My coach has been telling me, "make sure you're eating right," which I always assume to mean eating enough calories which has never been a problem for me. But, I've been thinking about it more lately and wondering whether I've been getting enough protein in my diet. Plus, I've probably gained about 5 or so pounds (guessing based on how my clothes feel, haven't been brave enough to get on the scale). I've been attributing the weight gain to the fertility meds (we're now on our second round). D@mn drugs make me starving. Plus, I've been subconsciously thinking that eating more might help me get pregnant, but after reading this blog post about a runner that got pregnant with a BMI of 18.3 and running 60-80 MPW, I'm reconsidering. My ideal BMI is an 18.5-18.6 (i.e. the weight I like to be). I got pregnant last time with a BMI around 19.9.

Also, I've been reading "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald (is EVERYONE reading this book now??) and found the following excerpt to be very interesting:


Researchers from the Norwegian School of Sport Sciences sought to identify nutritional correlatios with menstrual irregularity in runners, with a special focus on vitamin E. Ten runners with menstrual irregularity and 10 runners with normal menstrual cycles submitted three-day dietary recalls. Analysis of these data revealed that women with menstrual irregularity consumed significantly less fat than the others. Both groups consumed inadequate amounts of vitamin E, but blood analysis revealed that the women with menstrual irregularity had low levels of vitamin E, while vitamin E levels in the others were normal. The authors of the study wrote, "Our results indicate that irregular menstrual function in athletes on a low-fat diet is associaed wth low concentrations of circulating [vitamin E], rending the red blood cells more susceptible to haemolysis in connction with physical activity.

Now, I know that this is a small sample size and not generalizable, but I wonder if there might be some truth to it. For the next seven weeks until Boston (eeeee!), I'm going to focus on eating more protein. I don't think I have a problem with consuming enough fat (hello, Mr. Peanut Butter, please stop calling my name). I'm going track (and report to you all) what I eat for 3 days to see how much I'm eating and the protein/carb/fat breakdown.

Weekly Mileage for the Past Two Weeks:

Monday, February 15, 2010: 6 miles
Tuesday, February 16, 2010: 8 miles ~1400 x 2, ~700 x 2
Wednesday, February 17, 2010: 11 miles
Thursday, February 18, 2010: 9 miles am // 30 min yoga PM
Friday, February 19, 2010: 2.5 miles WU, 5 miles @ 6:30 pace, 2.5 miles CD // 30 min yoga PM
Saturday, February 20, 2010: 10 miles
Sunday, February 21, 2010: 18 miles in 2:08:56 (7:09 min/mile pace)
Total: 72 miles

Monday, February 22, 2010: 6 miles
Tuesday, February 23, 2010: 9 miles am // 30 min yoga pm, 2 mile walk (hammie bugging me so I skipped the speed workout)
Wednesday, February 24, 2010: 12 miles am // 3 miles pm
Thursday, February 25, 2010: 10 miles am // 20 min Jillian's Shred workout (hard!! I'm out of shape!)
Friday, February 26, 2010: 3 mles WU, 5 miles @ 6:37 w/ 50 MPH winds!, 2 miles CD (felt DEAD:<)
Saturday, February 27, 2010: 10 miles am // 30 min yoga pm
Sunday, Feburary 28, 2010: 22 miles in 2:46:50 (8:02 min/mile pace) (whoops, only meant to run 20! my garmin died:<)
Total Mileage: 82 miles

10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I AM reading that book! Just finished it yesterday. FWIW, I don't think a lot about BMI either. Just doesn't take into account musculature. But I think the additional protein sounds like a good idea for you. I've been tracking my nutrition lately and realize how short I am on protein too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm curious as to how your experiment goes since you and I have very similar problems. Those super skinny runners that can get pregnant with no problems drive me crazy! Doesn't seem fair that I can be so much heavier and have problems. Ahhhh, it's so complicated.

    Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The excerpt from the Fitzgerald book is interesting and makes me think of another study (I think called Nurses Study...something like that) that found that women who consume full fat dairy were more likely to be fertile. You can look it up, there was a lot of coverage in the lay press about 3 yrs ago. The month I got pregnant with Elena I started eating Ben and Jerry's, but unfortunately drinking whole milk for the past month didn't help me get pregnant this time. I think I will continue drinking it though, just in case. I think it may have helped to decrease my PMS symptoms, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two things I thought of from your post and one of the comments:

    1) I tracked what I ate for 3 days and found I was definitely not getting enough protein. It's making me rethink what I'm eating.

    2) Be careful with the Nurses Study mentioned if you read it. I have read three different books who point out massive flaws with it (China Study, In Defense of Food... and I can't remember the other)

    One more thing. I've been listening to the podcasts by Oprah (lol) and Eckhart Tolle about his book: A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose. My sister has tried for two years to get me to read this book but I had such a hard time starting it (the two times I tried). So she suggested the podcasts and they are AMAZING! If you're up for it you can listen to them while you run. That's what I'm doing. I can assure you that you will feel more peace about everything in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey there. Just so you know, my RE is a big, big fan of running. He loves that it keeps me fit, and most important, sane.

    As for racing weight, oh man what a topic. I PRed when I was my leanest ever Fall of '08. Then I topped that PR in Boston last Spring about 5lbs heavier. It shocked me...I "felt" heavier so I assumed I couldn't run faster. I know weight does make a major diff, but you are SO RIGHT, it's about WHAT you eat. (For me, that means less vino and ice cream and more turkey and whole grains.)

    I'm counting down with you! Eeeee for Boston! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think protein plays a huge role! Now I have no clue about weight and pregnancy but that sucks about the mess and hunger.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry! I should be a little more careful to make sure I get my point across in a less naggy way. Next time I will read my posts over before posting so I don't come off like such an ass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. do you have a trick for tallying your protein/fat/carb balance, or do you manually add it up? I'm increasingly curious about my own intake, but so, so, so lazy.

    And, without blabbing about my whole history, I think it's absolutely crucial to have non-fertility-related goals in place while TTC. CRUCIAL.

    ReplyDelete