Friday, September 3, 2010

Adding Insult to Injury

Chicken Little likes planning because it makes her feel in control.

With the upcoming test results, I knew that I had to come up with a strategy for how I was going to handle a negative test result. My threshold for dealing with my doctor's nasty attititude has finally reached its limit. If I am going to have to do IVF again, I am going to do it with a different doctor, a different clinic, and a different milieu. I have too many negative associations with current Doctor Nasty.

So, today I met with a new doctor and we laid out a plan for how we'd deal with a negative. The changes that we would make to the protocol to address my lack of response to the meds (6 and 9 eggs is not very many). While he was reviewing my bloodwork and prior cycles, he mentioned casually that I had diminished ovarian reserve. WHAT? Looking at bloodwork I had done in September 2007 and April 2010, it looks like I don't have too many eggs left in there. WOW. Wouldn't that have been nice of SOMEONE (I'm looking at you Dr. Nasty?!) to mention at some point? Perhaps we would have been more aggressive. The new Dr. said he wasn't worried about it because I was "young" and have evidence of making "good" eggs. He said if I was "old" and made "poor quality" eggs, then it would be more of an issue.

He asked me if I knew that I could do a home pregnancy test at day 8 post 5 day transfer (today) and find out if it worked...I said yes, but that I wasn' strong enough to handle the answer right now.

He is confident that we can get pregnant through IVF and that we do not have to use donor sperm, eggs, or embryos.

Whatever Monday may bring, I have a plan. And, hopefully, I'll be able to meet my goal of getting pregnant in 2010.

3 comments:

  1. Oh my GOSH do I love a good plan. This new RE sounds like a breath of fresh air. I didn't realize Dr. Nasty was so, geez, NASTY. I also don't like that you weren't told the ovarian reserve *could* be an issue. (Was the new doc looking at your FSH or AMH or both?) I can only assume he didn't think it was anything to worry about.

    Anyway, I've got everything crossed that you don't need a new protocol/RE and am insanely hopeful for you this cycle. C'moooooon positive!!!! Time for Nathan to be a big brother!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sending you tons o' good vibes!!! I hope you manage to enjoy the weekend.

    Thank you so much for the sweet comment on my blog. No apology necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh please please please be positive! Um, if it is negative then at least we'll both be on the "get knocked up in 2010" bandwagon...fingers crossed you don't have to jump on it though!

    ReplyDelete