Wednesday, June 29, 2011

RMNL (And Nuchal Tranlucency)

Living and working in a place where acronyms abound, my husband came up with a new initiative and ascribed it an appropriate epitaph: Running Mama's New Life (RMNL). The goal of this initiative is to help me find myself again. Over the past several years as infertility and getting pregnant has been the primary focus of my life, I find that who I am and what I want out of life have become obsolete questions. Besides getting pregnant and having another child, I'm not sure what I want to do with my life. I don't particularly enjoy my job, even though it is an AMAZING work environment for working moms. I spent much of the past year and a half just wanting to be happy and vowing that if I ever made it out of this IF experience that I would make sure my life had meaning. So much of what I do at work feels pointless and irrelevant...but perhaps that is the knowledge workers plight. So, the RMNL initiative is supposed to help me find myself again.

Current Goals of RMNL:
--Take career aptitude test (not just my perceptions of what I want in a job, but my ACTUAL abilities) and work with career counselor about what to do with my life;
--Get back in shape (as much as possible)
--Reconnect with my friends
--Travel!!!
--Work on self presentation: grow out hair, learn how to do hair, learn how to put on make-up, pay more attention to fashion (I'm not an UN-fashionable person, but it is usually an after-thought for me. I am too busy in the morning to actually put on make-up and do my hair and I'd like to take a little more care and consideration to my appearance so I don't end up looking like a frazzled mom that walks around in yoga clothes all the time)
--Take 2nd half of photography course and save up for a new camera

I know some of these are superficial, but maybe I've watched too many HGTV shows on how changing the external can impact our self-perception.

And.....

I had my nuchal tranlucency today. Baby was ROCKING out!!! The baby was JUMPING up and down and we had a wait a few minutes for the baby to calm down before we could do measurements. My downs and trisomy risks were that of a 20-year old...but after falling on the short side of statistics for too long...I could help but feel that a 1 in 6,185 risk for downs to be...a little low for my comfort. Maybe nothing can comfort me now.

But, slowly, I am feeling hope creep in.

My mother insists that it is time that I start telling family and friends that I am pregnant. But, I am not ready. I keep pushing back the deadline...maybe now I should wait until the baby is 24 weeks (viability). She says I am being "selfish" and that I need to share this joy with others in my family. She says my family has always been there for me (really? were they? I don't remember getting much support from anyone other than my mother and father) even if they didn't call. RIGHT. I have got to promise myself that I won't use guilt to manipulate when I am a mother!

8 comments:

  1. Congrats on the NT test! Good for you for focusing on you, it can't be ignored!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting post. Um, you are not unfashionable (having seen you many times) LOL. But why don't we go to Nordstrom or Sephora together... this weekend? I need some new eyeshadow and could use some help in that department as well.

    Personally, I think your choice to tell family members is yours and yours alone. I can understand why you would want to wait. Just don't wait until a month before hand and announce it in your Christmas card... to your siblings. A phone call would at least be nice. Ha ha.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome news! Go, baby!

    Where does one take a career aptitude test? Maybe I need one of those. I don't even really know how to start looking for a job, really, especially beyond my current field.

    Nothing wrong with yoga pants, you know. As long as you're happy in them. :)

    And your decision to tell people is just that: YOURS. When you feel like they're going to be properly supportive!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic NT results!!! I think your efforts to explore how to get yourself more meaning in your life is great, although, you know, I think making your 'right now' goal getting/being pregnant/having a baby is not a bad one. It doesn't mean that's your 'forever' life goal, but it means it's your primary goal for right now and you're orienting your life around that. I'm not sure it's necessary to need to know exactly what you want to do with your life 5 or 10 years from now. You'll figure that out then. Anyhow, that's my $.02 (probably worth less than that, really!) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! That is just awesome you are taking your feelings about life and putting them into actions. BTW - I totally related to your "learn do hair, makeup, fashion" comments. I am never great at these things either. You know it's bad because my hubby actually begs me to go shopping! ha ha! But, in all seriousness, I know that when I feel like crap about myself and life in general, these areas slip even further. You are absolutely right that if you take time to feel good about the outside, you will probably feel better inside too.

    So incredibly thrilled about the awesome NT results!!

    You take your time about telling people and do it whenever you are ready. Although from the sounds of it, you are just like me and will never feel ready! HUGS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats on a great NT scan!

    and i agree - focus on you! it's time!

    and about telling people, tell your mom to relax and you'll tell people when you're ready. we told immediate family at about 2 months, but no one else until 20ish weeks. do you what you feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!! So glad the NT scan went well. I'm truly thrilled for you. And I LOVE your new plan of getting your life back on track. It sounds blissful.Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to check in and say hi! Hope all is going well and you are starting to settle in!

    ReplyDelete