During my last pregnancy, I had a traumatic experience with Braxton Hicks. I was 24 weeks pregnant and had been noticing that I was having BH fairly regularly, sometimes several times in an hour (they care if you have more than 4-5 in an hour) (see my post about it). I went in to see the doctor, they freaked out, my husband freaked out, I freaked out. I very nearly missed a flight to a wedding that I was in. Obviously, my pregnancy turned out fine. I was 39 weeks 4 days when I delivered my son after much persuasion from drugs...so there was NO problem with early dilation (thank goodness).
I noted in my blog that I first started noticing them around week 22. Here I sit at 20 weeks and they are DEFINITELY happening again. I'm almost reluctant to tell my husband or doctor because of their reaction the last time, but I guess I'll bring it up at my next OB appointment.
In terms of comparisons to my last pregnancy, this pregnancy is pretty similar. I've been running almost as much as I ran the last time (with the exception of our recent vacation to the Pacific NW where I didn't get to run much at all....I was a little too afraid of a bear chasing me to actually be able to run in Glacier). My stomach is definitely bigger this time. I don't weigh myself (and didn't weigh myself last pregnancy) so I don't know how the weight gain compares, but I would imagine I started this pregnancy a little higher than my last pregnancy and have probably gained a few more pounds, but who knows. I'm not worried about weight gain. My attitude is that if the nurse/doctor brings it up (too much or too little) then I will pay attention, but for the most part I'm just eating like I've always eaten (sans sushi, copious amounts of wine, and deli meat). Which means LOTS of chocolate...peanut butter...salads...greek yogurt...and fruits galore.
I'm finally getting to the point where I am EXCITED about this pregnancy...where I actually WANT to tell people I am pregnant and share in the joy of our baby girl. Which is refreshing. But, at the same time, I fear that I have lost sense of the precariousness of our situation and how easily all of this could be taken away from me. I didn't even BUY anything for my son until I reached viability (24 weeks) and I actually bought four outfits this past weekend for Baby Joy (not her name). Am I tempting fate?
Congrats on little pinkie take care of yourself and definatly see your OB if you get worried. better to have it checked and feel a bit silly then risk anything going wrong.
ReplyDeletefingers and toes are crossed for you
take care
I think you should tell your OB ... and perhaps armed with the knowledge that this happened last time, too, they'll overreact less, but be on guard, just in case. I think it's good that the pregnancy is progressing in such a similar way ... that should help, too, if they start "freaking out."
ReplyDeleteAnd no, I think it's wonderful that you're excited ... and you should let yourself prepare. Yes, this could all be taken away at any minute. But right now, you have this beautiful little life inside of you, and it's so important for you to bond with her ... as precarious as this place is.
So glad to hear you're eating chocolate. :)
*hugs*
i had them too from about 22 weeks...my OB also kind of freaked out, but that was just how my body did pregnancy. i'm sure this is normal for you...but yeah, mention it just so you know that for sure!
ReplyDeleteI had a lot more BH contractions the second time around and it was mostly when I was running or physically exerting myself. It never hurts to talk to someone about it. Also, you can set the tone for how it's handled. I.e. if you're freaking out then everyone else will. If you're interested and curious about something then it will be less alarming to anyone else. Maybe if you broach it with hubby just mention it as an interesting phenomenon and not as a possible sign of impending doom :) Glad things sound like they're going well!
ReplyDelete