Monday, August 1, 2011

Is Running During Pregnancy WRONG….Especially for Someone that TRIED SO HARD to Get Pregnant?

The typical response that I've been getting from people upon telling them that I am pregnant is: "you aren't running are you?" Sometimes followed by "you'd better relax this pregnancy." The underlying assumption to this statement is that relaxing was the reason I couldn't get pregnant or that relaxing ensures a healthy pregnancy and baby. And, we all know that the pyscho-somatic control that we have over our bodies' ability to get and stay pregnant is basically NON-EXISTENT.

I understand their logic. It was hard to get pregnant. How awful would it be if I lost the pregnancy? Would I blame myself for not doing EVERYTHING to protect this pregnancy? The thing is…I know people who haven't been active physically and extremely vigilant about following pregnancy commandments…and still lost their babies. Miscarriage, pre-term labor, genetic conditions ARE NOT INDUCED because of exercise, despite the popular misconception that physical activity is bad for the pregnant woman. This is a remnant of Victorian era logic that held that women cause miscarriages by being too active.

Plus, I have the experience and knowledge that I have a healthy and active pregnancy with my son. I ran 30-60 miles a week through weeks 10-35 and gave birth to a full-term baby. You can look through my 2008 entries to see the mileage I logged. I was so surprised to be able to run so much during my pregnancy, but I felt great and saw no reason to stop running unless medically necessary. I did stop running at 35 weeks because I started measuring small and they were worried that I had intra-uterine growth restriction (IUGR). My son was born at 6 lbs, 2 oz and was in 3rd percentile for his weight. He remained in the 3rd percentile until he was 2 years old (with a weird uptick to 20th percentile I believe when he was 3-4 months old). Since his birth, I learned that birth weight is largely genetic and that my husband's family generally tends to have smaller babies (my husband was 6 lbs, 5 oz; his sister 5 lbs, 11 oz; his brother 6 lbs, 1 oz) and I weighed 5 lbs 6 oz (I was a few weeks early, though). So, I have a hard time believing that my running caused his low birth weight.

But, there are times when doubt creeps in while I am running and I wonder if I am doing something wrong…if I am being an irresponsible mother to the baby I love and hope to hold in my arms. What if the impact of running during pregnancy isn't realized until the baby is older?

I wish I had the naivety in believing that everything that would work out…or at least the reassurance that if this pregnancy didn't work out that I could get pregnant again. But, I don't. This will likely be the last time I am ever able to get pregnant with a biological child.

Running keeps me sane. It is my ballast against my anxiety. It frees me from the chain of worry. It makes me feel strong and fit. It reminds me that my body hasn't failed me entirely.

7 comments:

  1. to all those people stressing you out just tell them to f off. from my understanding running is fine if it was something you did before hand and you are fit. it isn't like you are a huge woman deciding to get fit now. and it makes YOU happy which makes the baby happy. I can come and kick some arse if you want? I am looking for any excuse to come to the States, very jealous as my parents leave today to fly to the USA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand this COMPLETELY. And who knows about my next pregnancy but with Zach I ran up until the day I was induced and he weighed 8 pounds, 7 ounces and has been a fatty ever since.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd tell people that your OB said it's perfectly fine--they can't argue with a doctor right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i had that naive bliss with #1. i am terrified of getting pregnant with #2 because in addition to the stress of getting there, there's 9 more months of fear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are the same people who probably told you that you weren't getting pg because you weren't relaxed, or you wanted it too much or whatever.

    Fuck 'em.

    At the end of the day, if this is a healthy pregnancy, it'll stick. tell anyone who doesn't get it to STFU and keep running as long as you feel good and your doctor doesn't tell you to stop.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know a woman who ran a half marathon eight months pregnant, and had a healthy baby. I know exactly what you mean when you talk about this fear ... but I also think that you know how to keep your body healthy, and anyone who plants seeds of doubt should go f'emselves. The only down side I've been able to identify with N. is that she likes being rocked (run?) to sleep ALL.THE.TIME, still at 6 months. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. if running keeps you sane, then keep up with it! ignore what everyone else says! you and your dr know whats best for you. :)

    ReplyDelete