The past few weeks have put me on the brink of sanity. I have been repeatedly sick this pregnancy, missing days and days of work, exhausted, running a fever, throwing up, etc. etc. Through into the mix a major car accident requiring that we buy a new car and the stress of wondering whether my husband was going to be out of work again due to the sequestration and life already felt barely manageable.
On Friday at the 16 week ultrasound, I waited patiently as the technician made all of her measurements, sitting in the dark and quietly let tears run down my face because it is usually in the silence of the ultrasound room that the loss of my other baby really hits me. It is the place where I learned of the baby. It is the place where I lost the baby. I always ask the technician to turn off the monitor so that I don’t have to see what remains of the second baby. I am usually too fearful to say anything. At the end of the ultrasound, I asked the technician if my cervix was closed and she said yes. That was my big concern…given that loss of a twin can result in premature birth of the other twin. I mentioned that this baby didn’t seem as active as my other children and the technician said that she could see the baby moving around. She said that I should leave the gel on my stomach as the doctor may want to look at a few things. It seemed innocuous enough, but I should have known.
The doctor came in and did some scans and then told me that she couldn’t get a good view of the baby’s feet and legs as it was in the breech position and she had some definite concerns that the baby had club feet, which is associated with a host of neurological and spinal issues, such as spina bifida, cerebral palsy, and others. I tried to process what she was saying. I tried to tell myself that this was similar to the concerns doctors expressed about the size of Nugget’s head that lead to a month of hand-wringing and crying for the last month of my pregnancy with him. I told myself that I wasn’t going to let myself think about all the horrible things this could mean for our baby boy. That night, my husband and I woke up several times crying. This pregnancy has been so rife with angst and pain and sadness that sometimes I just want to end it all so that I don’t have to live in agony like this waiting any more.
We have to wait two more weeks before we can get another ultrasound to check on baby and see if he indeed has club feet or spina bifida, or any of the other horrible things that a genetically normal baby could suffer. Each day is an eternity and I can help but feel that both of us assume that it is a foregone conclusion that this is not a healthy baby and this pregnancy is only going to end in disaster.
Just wanted to share with you that my great-nephew was diagnosed with club feet and I believe a bladder or kidney enlargement inutero. They had other worries about neurological issues as well. When he was born he did have the club feet and that was corrected when he was 3mos old with surgery. The bladder or kidney issue corrected itself before he was 6mos old and he is now a rambunctious almost 3yr old who loves basketball! You would never know anything was ever wrong. Will be saying some prayers for your sweetpea that everything is just fine or can be easily corrected! HUGS!
ReplyDeleteWhy are they making you wait 2 more weeks? I'd demand the ultrasound sooner (like a week). Oh, so sorry for the news. However, like the previous posted said, sometimes clubbed feet happen due to the position of the fetus while growing, hence a healthy baby with a deformity that can be surgically corrected.
ReplyDeleteOh, and I lost id twins in my first pregnancy (started as triplets), so i know the sadness to see the dead babies in utero during ultrasounds. You were wise to shut off the monitor. I didn't and was completely taken with their little existance. So sad.
Hopeing and praying for the best.
ReplyDeletetake care
Tidy and I are sitting here with our jaws open and hearts sad for you and your family. I will wait with you in fear and hope. Sending you all of my strength right now to focus on the pleasant moments of your day.
ReplyDeleteOh, friend. Sending you so many hugs, and holding you in my heart.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry things are so tough right now...sending good thoughts.
ReplyDeleteBabydreams comment gives hope i must say; i agree that waiting for another u/s after being given that news sucks. i'm hoping for and sending positive thoughts your way...
ReplyDeleteFirst off, I am sorry to hear that you have been sick. We have around here too and it's been pure misery.
ReplyDeleteAs the earlier posters have said, club foot is something that is totally repairable. Also as a tiny bit of hope- , if you are willing to travel to Philadelphia to have the baby, spina bifida is now treatable too, it's amazing...http://www.chop.edu/service/fetal-diagnosis-and-treatment/spina-bifida.html
That all being said, I am so sorry, this must be such a frightening time and I sincerely hope that you get some answers soon, and I hate that you need to wait for them....
I am so, so sorry for the pain, worry, and stress you are feeling. I will never understand why things unfold the way they do. I will be thinking and praying for you. As others have said, I have a friend that recently had a baby with bilateral club feet and they were able to treat and she is perfectly fine now. I know the days will creep by until your next ultrasound. Sending you tons of prayers and wishes for strength.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry for all you are going through. I was wondering if you were blogging again and glad to see you are. Thoughts are with you.
ReplyDelete