| A Picture of Mackenzie's Little Feet |
The little baby in my belly this time was active this week. Kicking and definitely more active after I would feed him copious amounts of sweets (just to make him move around more). I checked his heart beat at least two times a day this past week. Reassuring, but never enough. I kept thinking this whole week: "I'm so pregnant. My belly is so big. This is how big I was when Mackenzie died."
| 23 weeks, 1 day Pregnancy #4 |
Today, I am 23 weeks and 1 day and this is my belly.
After my last post, I got a lot of comments asking whether I was seeing a therapist. I am and I have been since the week after Mackenzie died. A lot of people have asked me this in the days since Mackenzie has died. I'm not sure what to think of it. I generally accept that this is how people express concern when they feel helpless and don't know what to say. Sometimes, though, this question makes me angry. (Please don't feel bad if you asked or suggested this. I did want to talk about why this is a typical response. I welcome the perspective of others!)
Is this person implying that I am not handling my grief and anger well? That I'm not "resilient" enough?
Do I appear to be a crazy person that isn't managing my life and being a good parent to my living children?
Am I not allowed to be angry and to grieve his loss?
Should I hide my emotions?
Is the only acceptable form of grieving mother one that is positive and waxes poetic about how thankful she is for the little time she had with her child?
For me, grief is angry and raw. Grief is waxing and waning. Grief will dissipate for hours, days, and then sneak up on me with all-consuming force. Despite it all, grief never, ever goes away. It is a thorn in my side whose presence is always known.
***********************************
Two months after Mackenzie's death, I was talking to a friend at a birthday party. One of her best friends had lost a daughter at full-term after years of infertility. My friend told me that her friend had never been the same. I was horrified. I thought that surely that wouldn't be me as I felt I was coping fairly well with Mackenzie's death and was positive despite it all. I couldn't imagine a life of continued acute grief. I didn't want that to be me. I realize now how naive I was. I thought I was coping well, but I was just beginning my grieving life. I didn't understand the depths of my grief. I was probably still in shock. I know better now...
Grief is complicated and life-altering. And I didn't really understand just how much it could change a person, either- until I had reason to experience it myself. Now the key is to figure out how to live 'well' with grief, because it clearly isn't going anywhere. It's gonna be a long journey.
ReplyDeleteOh- and of course you are allowed to mourn, and you are resilient! I think most of us just want to make sure you aren't alone in dealing with all these complicated emotions, since there is so little we can do or say to help from a comment box. I hate seeing you suffer! Sending love and hugs!
Thank you for your comment on my last post. I get what you said, I feel exactly the same.
ReplyDeleteWe're approaching the 2-year anniversary of losing our son, this Friday. I feel like I'm grieving all over again....
I still haven't figured out what I want. I hope that I may find some inner eace next week after this difficult day has passed.....
Thinking of you..... Just wanted to say hi. Hope you're doing well.....
ReplyDelete