Sunday, September 28, 2008

Week 34 Running Stats

So, I did pretty well this week considering I was gone all week for work in San Francisco, which involves REALLY long work days and two days of traveling 10+ hours.

Week 34 Running Stats
Monday, September 22, 2008: Elliptical 60 minutes
Tuesday, September 23, 2008: Run 7 miles
Wednesday, September 24, 2008: Run 7 miles
Thursday, September 25, 2008: Run 6 miles, Walk 3 miles
Friday, September 26, 2008: Run 7 miles
Saturday, September 27, 2008: Run 7 miles
Sunday, September 28, 2008: Run 7 miles
Total Mileage: 41 miles

I am feeling pretty great when I run these days. Only a couple of times where I have to stop because of round ligament pain or a BH contraction is too strong to continue. Otherwise, the foot and calf pain that I felt through my 2nd trimester haven't really been bothering me. I feel a lot faster running back home than I did in SF. All those hills wore me out! I have long been wondering whether people would heckle me when I ran, as I have had several friends that have said that people said things like "that can't be good for the baby" or "shaken baby syndrome," etc. Well, running in SF, I got my first comment: "good for you for keepin' that baby healthy!" I love the West Coast:> In addition, the food there ROCKS! I think that I might finally be over some of this nausea. I have been craving fresh vegetables again (woohoo!). Hubby and I went to our Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) farm this weekend and picked some fresh green beans and tomatoes and made an awesome dinner tonight with them.

I also went to my last hypno-birthing class this weekend. Hubby and I finally decided after a LONG LONG debate that we would get a doula. With only 6 weeks until EDD, I am not sure that we will be able to find anyone. For a long time, hubby didn't want to get a doula because he was worried that he wouldn't have a role in the birthing process, given that we would have a midwife and nurses. I have been telling him that the doula wouldn't negate his role, but would help to be a better advocate for us in getting the type of birth that we want and would teach us different techniques to ensure that we were doing all that we can to birth the baby naturally. I met some doulas while in a baby store in Berkeley and we had a long conversation about husband's reticence to work with a doula, the usefulness of a doula, and the limitations of hypnobirthing. I have been meaning to write a post about hypnobirthing, but have been pretty busy with work, non-profit stuff, and getting ready for baby. I will in the next few weeks...

3 comments:

  1. very cool about the comment!! and, of course, the mileage! is most of your running outside or treadmill? i've thought about a doula too...as much to help my husband know how to help me as anything...but i know i will just procrastinate until it's too late!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treadmills are the devil. I would rather do the elliptical than run on a treadmill. In fact, I don't think I have run on a treadmill in over 5 years. Of course, maybe this will change....If you are trying to go natural and delivering at a hospital, I've heard that the doula is the only way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great about the positive comments. I have had the same "you shouldn't be running" crap" but not from my immediate family or anything. So screw everyone else. You are doing great running and I'm so hopeful to follow in your footsteps and still be running when I am 34 weeks. I am scared to even think about the birth stuff. I don't think I'll go to a class. Just go in blind maybe!

    ReplyDelete