Friday, November 7, 2008

Announcing Nugget!!


Hello!

Nugget was born Wednesday, November 5, 2008 at 7:59 AM at 6 lbs 5oz and 19.5 inches after 30 hours of labor with an Apgar scores of 8 and 9.

This moment--12:21 am--is the FIRST moment that I have had to sit in front of a computer or to myself since I last posted.

The events over the past few days have made the phrase "it takes a village to raise a child" mean more than I could have ever possibly imagined. I would not have been able to make it through this experience without my husband, my family, and some great nurses.

I am torn as to how honest I should be about his birth, but as I am a person that cannot put up a positive front for "maintaining appearances," I won't lie. It was the single most awful, painful, terrible experience of my life. I don't know that I will ever have a baby again after this experience.

*Proceed only beyond this point if you really want the nitty gritty details of a birth that was less than ideal*

After going into labor around 2:30 am on November 4th, I labored at home for a couple of hours and then went in to my midwife's office around 9 to see how far I had progressed. She found me to be only 1 cm dilated and told me to come back to the office at 3pm to see how I had progressed. I labored at home with contractions coming every 3 minutes and lasting 1-2 minutes. On a scale of 1-2 the pain was a 6. We went in to the office at 2 because the contractions were coming so frequently. The midwife did an internal exam and found that I had only dilated to 2 cm. So, I went back home again, called our doula, and labored at home until 7 pm when the contractions were coming every 1-2 minute and VERY painful. I labored at home in the shower for a while. The doula thought that I should be at least 5 cm dilated. The midwife found me to be only 3 cm dilated at 7pm after 17.5 hours of laboring. So, I labored at the hospital until 12:30 am and got another internal exam and was only 4 cm dilated. At this point, I had been laboring for 20 hours and was exhausted. The contractions were so painful that the only position that I could stand was to be on my knees lying over a birthing ball or standing. My legs were so exhausted that they quaked. The midwife, concerned about my ability to continue, put me on Nubain, a drug that was supposed to allow me to sleep and would hopefully allow me to rest for two hours. Unfortunately, Nubain just made me feel disoriented, but I still had the painful cramps and did not rest at all. After the Nubain wore off at 2:30 am, I had been in labor for 24 hours and had only progressed 5 cm. At that point, I was exhausted and unable to conceive of going through 5 more cm PLUS labor and so we decided to get an epidural. I felt like a total failure and a wimp and really beat myself up for the first day after I had him for not being able to do it naturally, but I knew that there is no way I could have done it. From 2:30 am to 5:30 am on the epidural, I progressed the final 5 cm. At 5:30 am, I started pushing. Nathan Kian was born 2.5 hours later at 7:59 am. It was the longest 2.5 hours of my life. It was 100x worse than the pain of running a marathon and much worse than the pain of contractions. I ended up having to get an episiotomy and have level 3 rectal tears. After giving birth, they laid the baby on me, but I was in too much pain and shock to even notice him. I was screaming "no more pain" and telling the doctor not to "touch a damn thing" until they got me on more pain meds. They had to wait 20 minutes for an anesthesiologist to come administer more drugs before I let them stich me up. It was an awful way to greet my son into the world. I couldn't even stand having him lying on me. I told them to take him away. After they gave me more pain meds and stitched me up, I held him for a bit, but I really didn't get to hold or see him again until 5 hours later after the drugs had worn off.

In the end, Nathan is a happy, healthy baby. No chromosomal problems, just very small. He is in the 5th percentile for his size. He is TOTALLY adorable...in my unbiased opinion. As I have time in the next few days, I will post pictures. They say that holding the baby in your arms takes away all the pain...and it does. The world melts away when I hold him. I could stare at him for hours.

We are having problems breastfeeding because he is so small that his mouth can't latch. So, I am tricking him into think that he is feeding by feeding him through a tube through a nipple guard and while sucking on a finger. I am also pumping my collustrum. Hopefully my milk will come in the next day or two. I have been trying not to feel guilty about "failing" at a natural childbirth and breastfeeding. I went to a great lactation consultant today that told me that I was doing everything perfectly, my breasts were fine, etc., but that Nathan's mouth was just too small and that he is a lazy feeder. She hopes that once I get more food in him he will get better at latching.

The other problem that I am having is that I am severely constipated and have no control of my rectal muscles and can't figure out how to go to the bathroom. My doctor never mentioned that this would be a problem and I just spent the past hour crying on the toilet because I don't know how to get the poop out other than trying to scoop it out with my finger, which is disgusting and I refuse to do. I have been taking stool softeners for the past several days, but apparently it isn't enough. I will call my doctor tomorrow, but if any of you know anyone that might have some suggestions, please let me know.

5 comments:

  1. wow. first, congratulations and yay that he's healthy!!! can't wait to see pictures of the little peanut. of course i read the whole post...i'm so sorry it was miserable getting him here. i have no advice other than who the f&*@ cares (except you, but try to stop!) HOW he got here, epidural or not, or how he's getting fed right now, after all you went through to get him here. i think you're amazing for having gone as long as you did without the epidural! i think we all want to think it won't be as bad as "they" say, but sometimes it is and who the hell knows until you're in the middle of it??? good luck healing...can't even imagine going through all that...but glad to know having nathan there is such a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow.

    First of all, you're not a failure for having an epidural. Hell, I had one as soon as I went into the hospital and wasn't really in pain yet! Who's the chicken in this scenario? ;)

    Also, breastfeeding is HARD. It took us a week to get things rolling. I had to supplement with my own pumped breast milk, feed him with a syringe...and then STILL had to go back to the lactation consultant in tears because he wasn't latching on right. You guys will get it. It's just a tough, unnatural thing to do!

    I hate to hear that you were in so much pain. I had a 2nd degree tear and it's really healed quickly. I hope yours will too. Pooping was weird at first because I just felt numb down there. It gets better. I promise. It took me several days to "go."

    Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, Congratulations!!!!

    I am sorry that you had to go through all of that! I thought it was supposed to be easier when you are in great shape! What the heck!! I hope that you are in less pain now and bounce back quickly. Thanks for giving the true details, of course, I also had to read it to. I am amazed by you holding out so long for the epidural - I would have had it at the first part of pain!! I'm sure! Breastfeeding - you are trying hard, I'm sure when he is bigger, you'll be fine! Good for you for trying to do what is best! I will try to pump but right now breastfeeding makes me feel sick thinking about it. I was thinking of you the last week and wondering if you had the baby. Now he's here and you'll be feeling better soon I hope! Congrats again running MAMA!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats!! See, he is just a little guy!!! I am so happy he is doing so well and so are you, battle scars and all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the little one. Glad to hear you're getting better and better daily. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete