Monday, November 10, 2008

Getting the Hang of Things


I had the realization this morning that I am starting "to get the hang of things." In the past two days, Nathan has started to be really vocal about when he wants to eat. Because of all the gear that we have to set up, it takes me five minutes from when he first starts giving me his visual cues (restlessness, rooting) that he needs to eat for me to be ready for him, which usually means he is good and angry when I finally get to feed him. But, I have learned a number of short-cuts and tricks to make the process easier. My biggest revelation today was that I can use a big bib to keep his hands from knocking the nipple shield off.

Other things I am learning:
  • Stay calm when the baby is crying. While the noise itself is upsetting, the baby is communicating in the only way he knows. I will serve his needs as soon as I can and he will survive until I get to them. I have to say, though...I am happy to hear him crying. We had to practically dump him in water to get him to wake up the first three days!

  • I NEVER thought that I would be a co-sleeper...it's just not safe...I always kind of viewed people that did co-sleeping as weak...but now I understand...it is the BEST feeling in the world! When I was in the hospital the first few days, they told me to give him as much skin contact as possible because he wasn't eating, which translated into me sleeping with him on my chest. I love having him snuggle up under my chin. I should put him in the basinette...but maybe I'll just wait until he has the breastfeeding down....

  • My lefty produces TWICE as much milk as the righty?! I only make about 1.5 oz per 20 minute pumping. He needs about 2-3 oz to stay full, so I will have to work on increasing my production. Ironically, my righty has a better nipple for sucking.
I also can't stand for more than 30 minutes before my netherlands start throbbing. I thought that I would be going on walks by now and maybe start exercising, but that doesn't seem possible.

Also...I finally had a successful "bathroom" experience and it wasn't so bad.

3 comments:

  1. First, I have to say you have great taste in names! Our peanut will have a very similar name to yours!

    I am so glad everything is working out for you! Nathan sounds perfect. You must have to look at him and wonder how you were ever worried something could be wrong. He is just so adoreable!!

    Finally, please don't be too antsy to get exercising. You just labored for a REALLY long time and experienced a third degree tear. Give yourself some recovery time. Plus you need body fat and lots of extra calories for breastfeeding, anyway :) I am sure I'll be just as antsy as you very soon. But we'll both be back up and running before we know it and in the meantime we need to take time to get to know our babies! I cannot wait to meet mine!!!

    Anyway, hope everything continues to go well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm afraid many things i think are icky now (breastfeeding, co sleeping, etc.) i'll change my mind about. not that that's bad, just that...right now, incomprehensible. but we adapt. not running, for instance, is going quite well for me! so glad to hear things are improving with your healing and nathan's eating and sleeping! keep the pictures coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh gosh, lots going on! That sounds so nice with the sleepy on your chest. I'm glad it is going well and you are getting the hang of it! Sorry you aren't feeling great, give it time to heal, you had a horrible experience!! running will come soon enough, enjoy some time off!

    ReplyDelete