Contrary to what my mother might say...I think that I have been pretty laid back and not too paranoid about Nathan. If I drop his pacifier, I will pick it up and stick it right back in there (of course, not if it were to fall in a public restroom or something of the like). I don't obsess over how often he gets a bath or whether his clothes smell of puke. I let me friends hold him and I don't correct them too obsessively about giving him proper neck support.
All this being said....I do have a tendency to do a lot of reading and on-line research....it's what I do for a living! I can't stop! Given all the hype about the connection between vaccines and autism, I want to be sure that I make informed decisions and take every precaution possible short of not getting vaccines (I do believe that vaccines are sort of a "prisoner's dilemma" and they only work if everyone gets them). So, I read Dr. Sears "The Vaccine Book" and asked my pediatrician if we can follow his suggested alternative schedule. My pediatrician doesn't think there is any link between vaccines and autism, but I don't want to take the risk. Nathan only got the rotovirus oral vaccine and diphtheria/tetanus shot today.
In other news, Nathan weighs 10lbs 13oz and is in the 30th percentile for weight; 22.5 inches and in the 40th percentile for height; and 15.25 inches and 25th percentile for head circumference. He's grown leaps and bounds from 5th percentile at birth!!
The Alternative Vaccine Schedule:
2 months: DTaP, Rotavirus
3 months: Pc, HIB
4 months: DTaP, Rotavirus
5 months: Pc, HIB
6 months: DTaP, Rotavirus
7 months: Pc, HIB
9 months: Polio, Flu (2 doses)
12 months: Mumps, Polio
15 months: Pc, HIB
18 months: DTaP, Chickenpox
21 months: Flu
2 years: Rubella, Polio
2 years, 6 months: HepB, HepA
3 years: HepB, Measles, Flu
3 years, 6 months: HepB, HepA
4 years: DTaP, Polio, Flu
5 years: MMR, Flu
6 years: Chickenpox
12 years: Tdap, HPV (for girls)
12 years, 2 months: HPV (for girls)
13 years: HPV, Meningococcal
What is the alternative scheduling for vaccines? Moana got hers as scheduled, but I'm just curious.
ReplyDeleteI'm eating peanut butter and thinking of you. Believe me, if there were marshmallows in the house, I'd be eating those too. ;)
It sounds like everything is going well and you aren't going nuts! are you loving motherhood??
ReplyDeleteYou've got to follow your instincts and do what's right and if an alternative schedule is what you think is right, it's good you have a doctor that supported you.
ReplyDeletethanks for posting that....they always worry me, too.
ReplyDeletesomething to think about.
I'm also doing the Dr. Sears schedule and feel the exact same way. I weighed Nathaniel on my home scale and I think he is already almost 15 lbs! Nathan is the real peanut among these two :) I am so glad your Nate is as healthy as can be!
ReplyDelete