My legs felt DEAD this past weekend and it is scaring the crap out of me. I ran 12 miles on Saturday and couldn't seem to get my legs to go much faster than an 8:30-8:45 pace. WHAT is going on? I felt awesome last Tuesday? Do I need more iron? Protein? Lord knows I get enough carbs. Only five more days until the race! I can't be feeling like this!
In addition, work is on overload. I worked all day yesterday, YES SUNDAY, and am going to be working late again tonight. This is NOT cool. Plus, now I'm worried that I am going to be working Veteran's Day AND Friday. We were supposed to be leaving early so that we could get to Richmond by 1 or 2 on Friday to give us plenty of time beat traffic and to pick-up the packet and hang out. Arg.
Any suggestions on how to get the oomph back in my legs? I've just been running really easy mileage and have cut back.
Last Week's Mileage:
Monday, November 2, 2009: 6 miles
Tuesday, November 3, 2009: 8 miles total: 1 mile WU, 1 x 3200 (11:41), 1600 lap, 1 x 1600 (5:40), 800 lap, 800 (2:51), 2 miles CD
Wednesday, November 4, 2009: 8.5 miles
Thursday, November 5, 2009: 60 minutes elliptical
Friday, November 6, 2009: 6 miles: 0.5 mile WU, 5k @ 6:25 pace, 2.25 mile CD
Saturday, November 7, 2009: 12 miles @ 8:30-8:45 pace
Sunday, November 8, 2009: 8.5 miles
Total Mileage: 49 miles
Sorry, no insight with the legs. I've been wondering the same thing for me. I sucked this weekend. Not sure if it was because i had to push lil mr in the stroller the entire 12 miles, the hotter weather, or the fact that I need the iron/protein. Something isn't right. My HR was around 75 + percent the entire time...and I ran slow. Something ain't right :-).
ReplyDeleteMaybe they were just tired from the week's workouts? You did smoke the track workout, fast girl!!
Try and stay sane this week. Breathe!!!!
I think this is the taper talking. Your body is getting ready to have the race of its life and is right now storing up for that big day. You are going to do awesome the training and work is done and can not be undone - no worries!
ReplyDeleteThe legs always go right in the crapper in the days before the big race. I don't know why but it seems to be part of the process. You have put in the miles and worked your ass off! YOU ARE READY TO GO!
ReplyDeleteI have no insight either!! I bet it is the taper.. do you think? I always feel weak legs in the week before. Good luck with everything!
ReplyDeleteWhy does work always explode right before a big event or vacation? It never seems to matter how well I plan for it, it always happens!
ReplyDeleteGood luck getting everything done and getting ready to rock the race!
tapers suck, they just fuel doubts. you will be fine, in 5 days anything (good) can happen! and yeah, i am seriously looking at the DC half...maybe, maybe....
ReplyDeleteThat happened to me too and I didn't have enough taper time for them to bounce back. That's all they need--some time. You can also try a massage and/or an ice bath. I would do a massage no later than tomorrow though. Otherwise, just relax and trust that your training plan will get you to race day feeling ready to go. I'm getting excited!
ReplyDeleteI agree with the advice that it's the taper. :) Groundbreaking comment I know.
ReplyDeleteDave and I are on board with the taper. That's how it feels! We both also get cranky and short-tempered - are you experiencing that?
ReplyDeleteYou'll have a great race! Just relax as much as you can and don't worry. You are prepared. Can't wait to hear about it.
good luck this weekend!
ReplyDelete