Sunday, November 15, 2009

Marathon Race Report: Sub 3 hours!

So, as Coach directed, I started out slow, doing my first 10K at 7min-6:50 pace. I felt great. The crowds were great. The rain was slowing down. Life was GOOD! I LOVE MARATHONS!

A couple miles later...around the 12 mile mark...I'm realizing that my legs ain't feeling so great and my hamstrings are hurting and I haven't picked up the pace quite enough. At the 1/2 marathon mark, I hit 1:29, which is 2 minutes slower than I wanted to be. I saw Coach around then and he said that I looked strong and that I was the 12th woman. I didn't feel strong. In fact, I felt pretty crappy and was reminiscing about my 21+ long runs where I felt awesome the entire time. I was kind of bumming out, thinking that I wasn't going to even hit the 3 hour mark which was my bare minimum goal. And, then...one of the women in front of me ran off to take a potty break...and I thought, well, maybe I can get in the top ten women. I shortly thereafter passed woman number 11 around mile 14.

From 14 to 20 I struggled and the next woman in sight was way ahead of me. I hit 20 miles at 2:15 and thought if I can just keep a 7:30 pace I can at least hit the 3 hour mark. But, my legs were dying. I had totally hit the wall around mile 16 and felt like the earth's gravitational pull had grown infinitely stronger. But, I didn't want to get home and think that I'd given up on this "one chance." So, I decided to focus on beating the next woman. In quick succession, I passed Ms. 10 and Ms. 9 at mile 21! I passed Ms. 8 somewhere in between 21 and 22. And, Ms. 7 and Ms. 6 died at the mile 23 aid station. I just had to beat Ms. 5....the woman in turquiose ahead of me. I'm not sure what I looked like, but I certainly felt like hell...until one woman screamed: "Number XXX, You are my hero!!" Heart leaping, I picked up the pace and passed Ms. 5 at mile 23.5 and was running scared until the end! For every person that passed me, I'd say a little prayer: please be a man, please be a man!

At mile 26, I was dying...the clock was ticking...and my heart was sinking. While I was at least in the top 5 women, I didn't think I'd make it under the 3-hour mark. As I made the final descent down to the finish at mile 26, I saw my coach and he screamed "you're at 2:58! If you book it down this hill you can make it under three hours!!" AND I RAN MY FREAKING HEART OUT!

I made it with 20 seconds to spare. It was pretty cool getting to stand up on the podium with the winners...

The rest of the day I was unabashedly telling anyone and everyone that I got 5th place. I'm sure that there are some "real" runners that would have been embarrassed to go touting their sub gold finish, but heck! I was just happy to make it to the top five!

I felt so lucky to have awesome support druing the race. I saw my husband, son, father, and mother four times around the course and my coach three times! In my own internal "acceptance" speech for my 5th place and sub-3 hour finish, I can't thank my husband enough for all of his support and altered work schedules and my coach and new running friends for the awesome company and advice!

15 comments:

  1. Look at your happy smiley! Congratulations on an awesome job! :) You are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you'd BETTER tell everyone! you are awesome! time and speed aside, i think your dedication and guts are awesome! and you won a tasty trophy too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still in awe! I hope you set up that trophy somewhere so you get to look at it all day!! And how nice of you to share it!! Looking forward to meeting up at a park and sharing some secrets of your running.

    Congrats again and enjoy the rest period!! It's well deserved!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh ya, was going to ask...how'd you handle the nutrition throughout the race???

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!! Oh my gosh!!!!! I'm sooo excited for you! Congrats in the best of ways! I am seriously so giddy for you right now. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually ate more than I have ever eaten during a race before. I think I kept eating b/c I was hoping that it would make my legs feel better. I ate two packs of GU Chomps (180 cal each) and one pack of jelly beans. I ate two-three Chomps about every 15-20 minutes after the first 40 minutes and then I ate the jelly beans ate mile 23.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so amazing!!!

    I told my hubby "It's so cool, one of my friends just got 5th place woman in the Richmond Marathon." He was like "oh, who?" Um well, someone who's blog I read who I occasionally see at races or running around the neighborhood. He just rolled his eyes at me LOL.

    So, if I"m going to brag about your finish, you certainly should.

    MCM Mama

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great race! Savor it and be proud!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Top 5 is AWESOME! So glad you had that last kick to get the sub-3! Enjoy the rest now. : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo hoo!!!!! Great job! I am so proud of you. And picking it up when you didn't feel great is tough, tough, tough. Amazing job holding tight to your goals and fighting to the end.

    And I totally know that feeling of "please be a man, please be a man, please be a man" when you hear someone coming from behind.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just looked at the pics from the link. I love the ones after that. You have the biggest smile and look like you're in heaven!! That has got to be the greatest feeling ever!! Maybe someday I'll be able to stand on a podium. I need to find the smallest race ever :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have your ears been burning? I've been bragging that I "know" the 5th woman at Richmond. Heehee. I am super proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yeah- what kind of shorts are you wearing? They look really comfy, esp the waistband.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, you are my hero!!! Seriously, what impresses me the most is all of the women that you passed to move yourself into 5th. When things got tough, you didn't give up...you just got tougher! Just awesome.

    ReplyDelete