They're calling for 1-2 ft of snow and I'm contemplating using it as a forced vacation from running. I've been feeling flat in speed workouts the past few weeks and struggled to maintain below a 6:30 pace at the tempo today. Went to the doctor last week to see if I was anemic, but turns out that I just have low iron stores. I am wondering if maybe all the hormones are affecting me, but I could just be burned out. I ran more than I should have last week and am definitely feeling a few niggly little aches and pains. Part of me wonders if I am just being lazy and don't want to run 18 miles on the treadmill (which will be my likely only recourse if the snow actualizes). Coach suggested I take 3-4 days off and that it was early enough in my marathon training that it wouldn't be a big deal if I missed a long run. I've already run 50 miles this week! Maybe I'll take tomorrow off and just run 4-6 miles on Sunday.
(BTW, just found *the best* distractor for Nugget: my ipod! Unlike the cell phone, he can push buttons without any negative effects. Plus, he loves music!)
My kids love the ipod! It does provide a little bit of a break :-) I hope you have a wonderful weekend!
ReplyDeleteI'm so jealous about the storm you all are getting. :( I would love to see that much snow. Enjoy your break!!
ReplyDeleteNO ONE wants to do 18 on the treadmill! I think time off is just what you need and it will help in the end. I took a week off before Clearwater when I was burnt out and it was just what I needed.
ReplyDeleteAnd there are some great free apps for kids for the iPhone. Shake the Farm, a kids telephone, a drawing app and a football app are some of zach's favorites.
I'm not sure if the snow will actually accumulate like they say....but it is icy out there! I think the time off will do you good. And seriously....18 miles on the treadmill sounds like HELL. I still don't know how you did 17 last week :-). Ten is my tops.
ReplyDeleteAnd after Angela's comment I really want an iPhone!!! (I'm cheap and refuse to get one). But they also have some decent podcasts...look into sesame street ones.
It's really hard to do two hard marathon cycles back to back. And to do them back to back after having a baby is extra hard. And then add on that you are raising a toddler, working, running extra miles above and beyond the high mileage already on the schedule, and worried about getting pregnant again--man I'm pooped just thinking about it all!!! If you are worried you're a wuss to cut it off at 50 miles this week you need to come out of the trees, girl!
ReplyDeleteAlso, did the doc put you on an iron?
I hope you had a nice rest this weekend. I heard your area got an insane about of snow.
ReplyDeletehope the time off pays off. Ya for the ipod! I love finding new "toys" for Nick.
ReplyDelete