Friday, September 10, 2010

A World Tour of Reproductive Endocrinologists

OK, maybe "world tour" is a little bit of an exaggeration. I did go to three different RE's this past week. After doing more research on the antagonist strategy (2 weeks birth control pills, ganirelix) suggested by the doctor I saw last week, I am not convinced of its success after doing ever-useful on-line research. I tend to cleave to routine and familiarity and sometimes have a hard time trying something new.

We had a WTF appointment on Wednesday at our clinic. Dr. A-hole was too busy to talk to us, so we met with the other doctor at the clinic. Arms crossed, I entered the meeting expecting not to get any answers and only given excuses for the repeated failures. But, Dr. B was actually very insightful. He walked us through his perception of our infertility history and compared our two IVF cycles so as to identify the factors he thought may have contributed to the success with our son's cycle and failure this most recent round. He identified slower growth of the follicles, which meant more drugs and longer stimming, possibly decreasing the quality of the eggs. He suggested that we complete additional diagnostic testing to determine whether there were any other factors impacting implantation. Additionally, he suggested a new drug protocol which has been found to be more successful with low responders (lupron flare). Of all the doctors I met with, I thought he was the most circumspect in terms of analyzing whether other factors may be impacting the lack of implantation and in the description of why this cycle may not have been successful. He didn't suggest donor eggs (which the dr last week has suggested). He said that the best predictor of IVF success is prior success and emphasized that I am young compared to most fertility patients. So, I decided that we will do one more cycle with this clinic. I started taking estrogen today and will take progesterone in two weeks to "fake" my body into thinking it has had a cycle. We didn't want to repeat the 60+ day cycle I had this summer after my failed FET. So, looks like I'll be doing another cycle in October.

I am trying to find Hope again. Most of the past week has been spent in tears. I'm so afraid that this won't work for us and that I will never get to experience the wonder of a baby moving in my belly or those first few sweet days with this small creature nuzzled against my neck. I've been pestering my husband about how many cycles we will do before we give up and he said that we will do it until we run out of money. My parents have offered to pay for a cycle, so we'll keep that in our back pocket for a later point. I have two more cycles that are covered 50% under my insurance company. I am also going to look into whether any other insurance companies my organization offers have infertility coverage (the last time I checked 3 years ago, my insurance company was the only one that offered minimal coverage).

Ironically, Nugget has found a new word: "happy." How do I define this word to him when I find it to be so elusive?

7 comments:

  1. My fingers are crossed for you. I'm so sorry you have to ride this roller coaster again. Message me on facebook if you ever want to talk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you're doing your homework, and setting yourself up for the best outcome: for this to WORK!

    Seriously, another RE suggested donor eggs? That seems really crazy to me, considering your response and success two years ago. IT reminds me of when RE #1 told me to think about a surrogate. Mind f-. :(

    I'm glad you are picking up the pieces. October is SOON. Bring it on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am keeping a good thought for you. I like your new blog title and look. Thinking of you -and glad that one of the doctors is helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i hope having a plan helps you get through it mentally. glad this doctor seems helpful...it always blows me away how insensitive and just plain stupid doctors can be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm glad you have a new plan. and don't worry about how many cycles you have left ... because this one's gonna work! i wish they'd do extra testing for you if you want it. my old RE wouldn't which is why we're switching.

    hang in there. i'm sad i'm not cycling with you in october but i'll follow along for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Agh, I've been away for a week and was hoping for some good news. I'm so sorry to hear things didn't go well. My thoughts are with you and I hope like hell things work out really REALLY soon for you. I'm glad you have a new plan to go by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS. I like the new look of the site :)

    ReplyDelete