- Symmetric--head and stomach are both behind. Could be associated with a chromosomal problem, like Down's or Trisomy 21, or just a "constitutionally small" baby: i.e., just a small baby. Nugget had symmetric IUGR; his body and head were proportionally small.
- Asymmetric--head is larger than stomach. Indicates maternal causes such as chronic hypertension or placental problems.
Indications of IUGR:
- mother's fundal height lags by 4 cm
- baby's ultrasound measurements indicate that baby is less than 10th percentile in weight, height, etc.
- at full-term birth, baby weighs less that 5 lb 8 oz
If you have had IUGR during a previous pregnancy, you are more likely to have it in subsequent pregnancies. Therefore, my doctor has been having me come in for ultrasounds every 4 weeks to see how the baby is doing. IUGR typically doesn't present itself until after the 30th week in pregnancy.
Yesterday, I had our 28 week ultrasound. At first, I was reassured because Baby Girl was measuring in the 50th percentile overall, although I did notice that her head circumference was in the 3rd percentile. I assumed that since the rest of her measurements were in the 50th percentile that we wouldn't worry about the head circumference. Plus, my fundal height is 27, which is only 1 cm off and within the normal range (i.e., within 4 cm).
Wrong.
My doctor wants me to go the the fetal specialist in two weeks to get another look at the baby. At first, I wasn't worried. I've been through this before and spent weeks 35-39 of my last pregnancy (he was born at 39 weeks) worrying about whether there was something wrong with beautiful Nugget. I vowed not to make the same mistake again. But, then I realized that Baby Girl doesn't have the same potential type of IUGR. Nugget had symmetric. Baby Girl has asymmetric, which usually presents with a larger head as the blood flows to the most vital organ, the brain. However, Baby Girl's head is much smaller than the rest of her body. The only reason I could find for this is microcephaly, which I don't even want to entertain. I talked to my doctor about this and she said that the 20-week scan did not show any sort of abnormalities in brain development (or any other organs for that matter), so she was not concerned that this might be an issue for Baby Girl. She emphasized that just as there is variation in the human population in size of limbs, heads, etc., there is also variation in babies sizes in utero. And, as I've mentioned previously, my husband was told that his head was "out of regulation" when he was in the Air Force ROTC in college (i.e., SMALL!). So, Baby Girl could just have a small head like her daddy.
I'm trying to pack away any concerns I have about Baby Girl and buckle down to get my nesting projects complete. But, the OCD part of my brain wants to spend hours and hours on every so helpful internet research!
Week 27 Running Stats
Thursday, October 13, 2011: 70 minutes elliptical, Body Flow, 2 mile walk
Friday, October 14, 2011: 9 miles
Saturday, October 15, 2011: 11 miles
Sunday, October 16, 2011: 9 miles
Monday, October 17, 2011: 6 miles (running and lots of walking, Baby Girl was in awkward position that made running hard)
Tuesday, October 18, 2011: 10 miles
Wedensday, October 19, 2011: 60 minutes elliptical, Body Pump (the beauty of not "training" for anything is that I can skip running when it is raining! )
Total Mileage: 45 miles + cross training
Comparison to Pregnancy #1: 32.5 miles + cross training
Pictures from Week 28 and 1 day!
oh, that is stressful. i guess it's good you've been through this before, you're right that it's probably nothing. andra had a tiny head too, though not mentioned to me til after she was born. on another note...i got my big box of drugs today. the fun begins in about 2 weeks.
ReplyDeleteStill looking great! That does sound like stressful news (of course!). Fingers crossed it is very much a genetic thing - and as the doc says, as well as the 20th week looking good, it is just a matter of your girl's head measuring outside the "norms" despite there being so many variations. I mean, even outside the womb, kids - and adults vary so hugely throughout every year of age...I hope all turns out a-ok.
ReplyDeleteStep away from Dr. Google. And take a deep breath.
ReplyDeleteMany deep breaths, actually.
Thinking good thoughts for you ...
my fingers and toes are crossed for you. take care
ReplyDeleteugh. i'm sorry that you have to worry about this. ... kind of funny about your husband's head! oh! my brother was in the Marine ROTC! anyways... hope your OCD brain can quite down for a bit. happy 28 weeks!
ReplyDeleteSo sorry you are having to worry about this again. But it is good to know your husband had an abnormally small head and she might be following in daddy's footsteps. I hope everything continues to prove to be okay in future ultrasounds.
ReplyDelete