Thursday, October 9, 2008

Intrauterine Growth Restriction

So, I went in for my level 2 sonogram to find out why I was measuring small and to see if the baby is OK. The baby is measuring nearly 3 weeks behind and the doctor was concerned that the head and the stomach in particular were measuring behind. They said the baby's heartrate, placenta flow, blood flow, activity level, heart, brain, and digestive system development all looked normal. The doctor wants me to come in for twice weekly monitoring to check out the baby's blood flow, heart rate, etc. and that they would have me come in for another ultrasound on 10/23 to see how the baby was growing. The doctor said that if the baby hadn't shown growth progress by the 10/23 ultrasound that they would want to start the conversation about having the baby early (i.e., c-section). However, if the baby has shown progress, then we would just continue to monitor the baby and would likely want to induce me during my 39th week because they wouldn't want the baby to be in there past 40 weeks because the placenta begins to disintegrate and the baby is already behind in its growth. I just hope that there isn't something chromosomally wrong with the baby. I noticed on my insurance form that they listed my condition as intrauterine growth restriction so I have to go research that more....

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry! I can imagine how scary this must be for you. My midwife was diagnosed with IUGR late in her pregnancy and her baby boy is 1.5 years old now and totally fine! I hope the same is true for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... don't know anything about that one. I'm sure that's scary to think about baby not growing like it should and i'm sorry you're going through that. We take so much for granted that babies just know how to grow all on their own, but maybe sometimes they need a little help. I guess in these cases, the ability for the medical field to intervene is a good thing...

    ReplyDelete
  3. a little scary...you're so close now, it seems hard to believe anything too serious could be wrong. did the doctor say anything about your running?

    ReplyDelete