Thursday, September 6, 2012

Ovaries Not Responding

After 3 days of stims (Sunday night, Monday morning & night, Tuesday morning & night, Wednesday morning) at the maximum dosage (450 follistim, 150 menopur) my E2 levels were only 34.  VERY low.  Of course, I immediately freak out...try googling low estrogen during stimming and all signs point to cancelling the cycle.  I try to figure out what I am doing that is causing the low response: am I running too much? Is my body weight too low (with a BMI of around 19 I would guess)? Did the BCP suppress me too much?  Have my ovaries officially closed up shop?  After an hour of internet research and frantic emails to friends, I reminded myself that this sort of "sky is falling" attitude isn't going to get me anywhere.  What will be, will be.  I will just have to wait until my next monitoring session on Friday to see if things progress or if they want to cancel the cycle.  I have to let myself off the hook for being able to impact the outcome of ART cycles.  Easier said than done.  Right now...I am fighting the urge to go look for success stories.  But, even looking at all my prior cycles, my E2 levels have NEVER been this low.  It's not good.  It's not good at all.

4 comments:

  1. HI Running Mama! I came across your blog from Tippy's blog. We had the same "online support" group for the last three or four years. It's been fun to watch her journey.

    I wanted to tell you that I had the same issue as your - no response to max dose. Cycles all got converted to IUI's. Then I surprise got pg naturally. Now we are looking to have a second and I went to an RE yesterday in Morristown NJ...the clinic is called RMA. Dr. Bergh is who I saw and they have a program for low responders where they take you to retrieval anyway and bank whatever eggs they can get to become blasts until they have enough to implant. Then you do a frozen transfer. AMAZING!

    Most clinics don't want to do that and cancel or convert you - not these guys. He said he has gotten people pregnant who he never thought would be able to be. If you can travel - not sure where you are located it's worth visiting him!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for the disappointing estradiol level. I think you're right, there's no use beating yourself up over it or trying to figure it out...just try to go with the flow, keep taking the stims, and see what the next level shows. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there - it ain't over yet! Praying your body is just a little slow to catch on and things look better by Friday...stay positive (and leave Google alone, pessimistic little resource.... :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes.

    a) You can't control how your body responds to the meds. Really, it's nothing you're doing or not doing. It's how your body is responding.

    And b) The others are right. It's not over yet.

    Hang in there.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete