Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Community

Today I went to a breastfeeding class for new moms. I really didn't want to go as I have a "to do" list as long as my arm, but I figured that I should make myself get out there and meet other new moms and at least view it as a way to network (I'm such a DC person!!). It was GREAT. I had questions that I didn't even realize I had and it was so reassuring to see other women dealing with fussy babies and breastfeeding. I always thought my guy was a bit of a nibbler and took forever to eat...turns out just about every other baby there ate as much as he did. It was also good to see how his personality compares to other babies. Since he's my first, he just "is." But, being in the class and seeing all the other babies, I realize that I have a REALLY active little guy. He was standing up and wanting to be bounced and looking around and cooing....while most of the other babies were chilling. Part of me wonders if my fidgety behavior is rubbing off on him. It was pouring today so we didn't go out to lunch after but I am hoping that I can get some ladies to go out with me next week.

Also! Nathan weighed in at 10lbs and... 10lbs 5 oz after he ate, so he is definitely eating enough.

All this being said...I was kind of hoping that there would be a runner in the bunch, but there wasn't. It just made me all the more thankful for the community of women that I have found here in the blogosphere to inspire me in their love of running and being active. I don't know what I would do with all you ladies!

7 comments:

  1. That's great that you are meeting other moms. I started Gymboree to meet some other moms. And whenever I go out with friends with a baby the same age as Zach he is always much more active. I think active parents = active baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great way to get some support and meet other moms and kind of see your little guy around other little people! Way to go going to that class. I think with you being super active while he was in there probably has to do with it too? I am so prudish and afraid of breastfeeding. Does it feel natural?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breastfeeding was the opposite of natural at first...it was very awkward. He wasn't very good at it (see my post about our "breastfeeding journey) and I wasn't very good at it. But now it is MUCH better and it is very sweet time together. I love watching him eat and having his hand grasp my breast. It makes you realize that we are mortal mammals. The coolest thing that I learned...the linea nigra that you get post partum is supposed to help the baby find its way up to your breast! Also, you totally lose your inhibitions after you give birth because basically everyone has seen you naked. I used to be a very modest person...now I have no problem whipping out the boob. You gotta feed your baby! And...if you remain modest, they do make hooter hiders!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go to a similar group and love it! It does help to see that you and your baby are "normal." :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. that chex mix bar is Yummy!! I had a free trial of it. Thanks for the help on the doula and your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just came across your blog and I think we may have run together years ago with WRC...congrats on your son (and running during pregnancy). I have been injured and not running much the past few years but hope to see you back out there sometime! Becky (running-blogs.com/becky)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just went and visited my cousin's twins who are 2.5 weeks younger and my Nate was WAY more rambunctious than them then and now! I also worry it's because I'm high strung, but I bet it's less that I'm a stress case and more that I am a go go go person--at least I hope :) I used to worry about his fussiness but now I would take it any day over wussiness :)

    ND--breastfeeding is totally amazing and feels totally natural--at least to me. At this point it's just second nature and I have no qualms about whipping it out and feeding him anywhere. I am respectful of others' though, but if it was up to me I'd not discriminate :)

    ReplyDelete