Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sick

For the past two days, I have had some mystery ailment....my tummy hurts and I have a slight fever and the chills. Sounds like the flu, right? But I had the freaking flu shot?! Did it not work? Luckily, this sickness has coincided with a winter storm, so I don't feel too sad about being too sick to run. My rule with sickness and running is that if the symptoms are above the neck, I still run (stuffiness, runny nose). If the symptoms are below the neck, I rest (temperature, tummy issues, coughing). So, no running.

I have to say that it is MUCH harder to take care of baby when I am not feeling well.

This weather really makes me wish that I had a treadmill...not that we really have any place to put it. What type of treadmills do you all have? I saw a Nordic Track on sale at Costco...

9 comments:

  1. I worry about you overdoing it not sick, so don't you go thinking you need to run now! Just rest and recharge and listen to your body! Hope you feel better soon!!!

    As for the treadmill, I got really lucky. One of my good friends was moving from a house here to an apartment in San Francisco and sole me her year old Landice for about a third of the price of a new one. I have a good friends who logs 40+ mpw on one that doesn't even have mph--just a dial that goes from tortoise to hare! Although I think for the most part you get what you pay for with treadmills--see treadmilldoctor.com (I think that's it) if you're ever in the market. HAs nice reviews at different price points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! Typo city! I can't wait for my new computer to arrive so I can see what I'm typing again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, that's good you are resting. Hopefully it will help you to feel better quicker. I am sure it is so much more difficult to take care of another person when you yourself are sick!! My treadmill is an EVO. I think it is middle of the line. What I like about it is that the track isn't connected directly to the rest of it - it is its own part so it isn't wobbly - if that makes any sense. It was around 1500 a couple of years ago and it is working great! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) You were commenting on my blog as I was on yours!! My Nate eats A LOT (surprise surprise!) so he actually doesn't sleep for that long. Last night he slept from 7:30 until almost 1:30 but snacked twice: once at 8:00 and once at 8:45. That was the best stretch of sleep ever! After that his nose was bugging him so I brought him in bed with me where he ate at his leisure. He woke up and cried once at 3:00 and once at 5:30 so I had to get up to help him back to sleep, but overall it was a good night. More typically I get 3 hours for the first chunk after putting him to bed and then 2 after that, but sometimes less. That's why I often bring him into bed with me because less than 2 hours is pretty excrutiating!!! I can't wait for the stuffy nose days to be gone! How often does your Nate wake up?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Salty One! My little guy has been doing better with sleeping the past week. He's been sleeping in 4 hour chunks. For ex, last night he fell asleep at 7, ate at 11, 3, 6:45, and 8. It was awesome. I went to bed at 9, so I got about 9 hours of sleep b/c I laid in bed with him from 6:45 on. I think having him sleep in his crib has improved our sleeping all around. I also let him cry it out for 14-20 minutes before I pick him up for the middle of the night feedings.

    Thanks for the treadmill recs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the same running when sick rule as you. I still have my head congestion, but that's all it is, so I'm taking Moana out for a jogger run in a few minutes.

    There must be something about getting sick about 3 months post childbirth. Seems it happens to everyone! The lack of sleep finally catches up to us I guess and our immune systems give in... bummer. Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have the same running when sick rule.

    We have a Life Fitness treadmill. So far it's holding up well. We tried a lot of them out and found that a lot of the cheaper ones are designed for running and aren't built to sustain much running.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found your blog from Mama Simmons blog. It's been fun watching your little guy grow. Just an idea...do you think you might have mastitis? When I had it, it felt like I had the flu too...it wiped me out! Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sara! I think you might be right! I have a very sore spot on my breast and never thought to connect my symptoms with mastitis or a blocked duct. I will go see my dr. tomorrow. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete