Worst cycle yet: 1 8-cell, 1 7-cell, 1 4-cell. The doctor called and said we would be ridiculous to do a Day-3 transfer (his words) because we would gain no new information about our ability to make normal embryos. He said we have to take it day by day and won't have the information we need about whether we should do a fresh transfer this cycle or do the PGD-package until Day 5/6 (Wed/Thurs).
He said there are a couple of factors impacting whether we will do a fresh transfer this cycle: 1) there are only 2 days each cycle where my body is receptive to a blastocyst based on my lining and progesterone levels, so we have to make sure my body is in the "right place"; 2) the blastocyst has to be at a synchronous stage as my body in order to do a fresh transfer; 3) the results of the PGD have to indicate a normal karyotype.
Tomorrow the office will call and let me know whether the embryos are progressing at the right speed to do a fresh transfer.
He said that my age range typically has 1-2 normal embryos (given my number of eggs, other factors, etc.). However, my body may not be normal given that is has a low number of follicles/eggs for my FSH and AMH levels. He said the PGD is accurate within a 10% range in terms of assessing the quality of my embryos, i.e., if none of my embryos are normal, than likely no embyros will be normal in future cycles. So, PGD is a definitive result as to whether we make viable embryos and have any more biological children.
This past weekend I was a wreck. I was so hopeful about this cycle...hoping that we would get a higher fertilization rate...hoping that the different protocol and clinic and DHEA and accupuncture and no exercise would help. But no. We got even fewer embryos than in prior cycles. I tried not to mourn my ability to have any more biological children...but I'm feeling like that may be our diagnosis. How can this happen at 32??
Aw sweetie. I'm really sorry this isn't working out the way you had hoped. Frick.
ReplyDeleteI'm gonna hope though that your 8-cell and 7-cell by some crazy magic lucky IVF dust end up being chromosomally normal blastocysts because doing everything you're doing made for some damn good QUALITY embryos.
Not much else to do but wait. And if this goes to shit, meet up for an angry post-IVF run. Cause seriously. Eff this.
Hang in there. Thinking of you.
xoxo
I'm so sorry hun. :( I am going to keep you in my prayers.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry. I have seen cases where a PGD was normal one cycle, and not the next.. But, I am sure throwing it on the line like this right now must seem so scary- especially since you had such hope for this cycle.
ReplyDeleteWishing you the best.
Ugh. I am so sorry. I know you're not out yet but I hear the agony in your post--you've done everything you could and I know you hoped for better.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you.
Crap. I was so hoping that this worked out better for you ... especially since it feels like you're doing everything you can. I'm so sorry that it wasn't better news, and I'm with serenity ... run like hell. *hug*
ReplyDeleteHey - just found you again after losing you for a while. Sorry you are having trouble this time around and sending good thoughts. Pictures of your little nugget from Christmas look great though! Wish I could say something to help, but I am sure you have heard it all. Keep the goods - out with the bads.
ReplyDeletePoo. ((HUGS))
ReplyDeleteoh hun. i'm sorry that you are getting not so good news on your embryos. ugh. i hate the emotional torment we put ourselves through, even though we tried to do so many things to help us, we still don't know why the heck this happens. I'm glad your RE gave you such good information and really spelled out his/her thoughts. i'll be waiting for your update tomorrow. hope you get some peaceful sleep. how long are you away from your home? can dh and ds come visit?
ReplyDeleteand ps.. i make less eggs than my FSH and AMH would indicate too. stupid science, why can't they get this stuff right, huh?
i don't understand how this can happpen, other than feeling like its just so friggin frustrating and angering.
My heart is breaking reading this post. I am not a doctor, but I really don't understand how they can assume that if these 3 embroys aren't normal that you make no normal embryos. We know all too well that every cycle is different. I know how disappointed and scared you are. You have sacrificed and given so much and aren't getting squat in return. It is not fair. All that being said, it ain't over til the fat lady sings! So try and hang in there the next few days the best you can. Hugs!
ReplyDelete