Last week, my sister had an appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist because she hadn't gotten her period after stopping her birth control pills and they put her on provera and she didn't get her period then either. I was a bad sister, lost in my own drama...I didn't call her. When my sister told me that she was going to the RE, I told her not to worry about it...I had several friends that didn't have their period and had successfully gotten pregnant through Clomid, IUIs, or IVF. (In the back of my mind, I was resentful that she was going to move so quickly to getting pregnant because she only had this *tiny* problem.) I armed her with a list of questions to ask the RE and some information about our situation so that he would have an understanding of any potential genetic issues relating to fertility.
This past weekend I went to visit my family. On Saturday night, while sipping some wine and watching Nugget play, my sister said that the appointment with the RE hadn't been too bad, but that it probably would take a little bit of effort for them to get pregnant. We didn't talk about it any more that night.
Later, while discussing the evening in bed with my husband, he said that my mom had told him that my sister has the same "diminished ovarian reserve issue" and that her antral follicle count was FOUR. In addition, her husband has the EXACT same morphology problem as my husband (2-3%). I couldn't sleep all night. As context, my antral follicle count is seven to nine and I am 3.5 years older than my sister (she is 29).
The next morning I called my sister and told her that we had to talk. She confessed that she hadn't wanted to tell me the truth because she was worried that I would be "negative" and she didn't want to lose hope yet. I hated to tell her...I hated to show her the horrible statistics for diminished ovarian reserve...that the clinic where she was being treated only saw 2 women with diminished ovarian reserve in 2008 and NEITHER got pregnant. I told her that her antral follicle count was lower than mine. That they usually only do IVF if you have at least 5 follicles. I told her that there was hope and showed her some "success stories" for diminished ovarian reserve, but those are few and far between.
How can this happen to us? My mother had 4 children the first try...and had her last child at 34. Both of my grandmothers had no problems getting pregnant? How can one family be so stigmatized?
But, most of all, I am angry at myself for not learning about my condition sooner. I could have prevented myself and my sister from going through this pain.
Why? Why do we have to struggle so much?
Oh wow, what a blow for your sister. Infertility is such a beast....
ReplyDeleteIt's weird because the first clinic we went to never even did AFC prior to IVF. It wasn't until I went to CCRM that I had one done. There they said I only had 8. However, when I stimmed I had 20 and then 26 eggs retrieved, but then again, we all know how that went.
All of this is so hard. Thinking of you and your sister as you support each other through this crap.
Oh wow. What is it about the last two or so decades that fertility is changing in some in the next generation (my mum got pregnant just looking at my dad, my sister and I - well, seems a completely different story)? I'm so sorry to hear that your sister is in the same boat, wishing you and your sister all the best getting through this.
ReplyDeleteI understand that resentful feeling. I've had it with a friend, not a sister, but its a similar thing... But I'm so sorry that your sister is now experienceing this same thing too. And yes, even though you are in the same boat, you are at different points in the journey. I bet it will be hard not to project all of your own emotions of this onto her journey too. I'm sorry you are feeling angry at yourself. I wish I could come over and bitch about this over a bit bottle of wine. Hugs.
ReplyDeleteOH NO! That is so sad :-( I'm sorry to hear that. My antral follicle count was 6 and we got 9 eggs though! Maybe if they pump her up with a large amount of stims, it will work. I hate seeing this happen to people :-(
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry both you and your sister are going thru POF! I hope you can be good support for each other though. As a fellow POFer (officially out of luck at 30), I know how hard it is. Good luck with whatever next steps you choose!
ReplyDelete