Wednesday, February 4, 2009
Double Dating
I am probably making this out to be far more complicated than it needs to be...but at the beginning of "relationships" you have such little social capital that you can easily screw things up. As I mentioned, I have met two gals running in the past month. They are both very different in their attitudes about running and their paces. #1 runs faster, is more competitive, is an Ironwoman. #2 runs a bit slower, is more laid back, and is just a marathoner. They are BOTH going to be at the long run this weekend...and both expecting me to run with them. What to do? Do I let them know that I met this cool other runner and we should all run together? I worry that #1 will think that we are going too slow and I had a great conversation with #2 that I would love to continue but you know how the dynamic changes when you have three people. Why do I make things so complicated? I guess because I want to keep everyone happy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
definitely introduce them! then flatter #1 by saying you're not sure you're up to her pace that day, but if she doesn't mind a little slower she should run with you and #2 at least in the beginning. or, do you know any 13-year old girls you can ask for advice???
ReplyDeleteHa! I'll have to ask my tweenager neighbor:>
ReplyDeleteThe IronWoman might get a little pissy if she can't run her planned pace... that's how we are, you know. ;)
ReplyDeleteOh, and I love the phrase , "Just a marathoner"... as if that's not enough. HA!
ReplyDeleteI've introduced several running friends who later became better friends with each other than with me! Just ask each if she'd mind running with a 3rd and if one (or both says no) than plan accordingly. Most people know that if they're running with someone else they may have to adjust their pace up or down. If ironwoman needs to run a certain pace, she'd probably be running on her own or with someone she knows will run that pace. I wouldn't worry about that aspect.
ReplyDeleteThis is tricky - as is running with 3 ppl. Is it a group run? can you run with one next weekend and one this weekend? When I went running w/ a friend of my husbands, she brought a friend and her friend was Abby and now she's one of my main running partners and the first girl is OUT of the picture. It is always good to meet other people I guess? She'll adapt?
ReplyDeleteDefinetely introduce them. Sometimes I get so caught up in hitting my times and pushing myself in training that I really enjoy it when I run with someone slower and am forced to slow down a little and enjoy running and making conversation.
ReplyDelete