I'm tired of running. I know that I have only been back at it for 9 weeks...but I need a break...even though I had the week of lower mileage when I had mastitis. I'm not sure why I am tired of running. Maybe I am more tired of trying to find a time that works to go for a run. Between my husband's flexible schedule, the treadmill and babysitting at the gym, and the jogging stroller, you would think it wouldn't be so hard to fit in a run. But, I always feel like it is a struggle to find time betwwen naps and feedings and miss the good old days when I could just get up and go in the morning. Will those days ever return?? Plus, I feel like I am over-training for my 10 mile and 1/2 marathon races this spring. My training plan has me peaking at 76 miles before my 10-miler. Is all this mileage going to make a lick of difference in my times?? And, is that mileage even feasible since Nathan still isn't sleeping through the night? I'm struggling to keep the miles in the low 60s.
What is the point of all this running? To prove that I am a bad @ss runner that can do all the miles post-partum that I used to do pre-baby? Do I really care? Because I am the only one keeping score. I ran one of my fastest 10-milers on 45-55 miles per week (6:40 miles). To lose the last of the IVF/trying to get pregnant weight? I know from past experience that I typically only gain weight when I up the miles because I am so darn hungry. Plus, my hamstring tendonitis has been acting up and I am tired of being in pain. Even my bi-weekly massage didn't help this week.
So, yesterday I didn't run. I went to yoga, actually cleaned the house in anticipation of our houseguest, bought my hubby a Valentine's Day present, went to Costco, waited for some furniture to be delivered. It was a very efficient day.
Would I be happier if I ran fewer miles or focused on being a more well-rounded athlete? Is that more realistic as a (soon to be) working mom? Or, am I just being lazy?
You'll be your best when training comes easy most days. It has to fit in with the rest of your life and make you happy. Obvs there will be days that suck that you have to push through, but you should look forward to it most days! I think 76 is way crazy at this point for you, personally! You hardly took a break when you were pregnant. It sounds like you are suffering from a light case of over-training already. I'd back it off a week or two--until you miss it and then reassess. I ran my pr half on 30-40 mpw about a month after my second marathon and for that I ran a 3:18 (Boston 07)and only peaked at 65 mpw for that! I went up into the 90's for my last marathon and really struggled mentally the last few weeks because I believe now it was just too much for me. I think 70-75 for a full is more than enough for me. God, to do 90 now with the lack of sleep! Kill me now!! Haha. 40 feels great, but much more would be too much for me yet I think. It's just enough that I feel like I accomplished something but just little enough that it keeps me wanting more!
ReplyDeleteOk, that was a bit babblish, but hopefully it helps! You can always e-mail me if you want to talk more about stuff (e-mail link in my profile). Hope you have a great day!
You aren't being lazy, you are just burnt out. Sure some days training sucks, but you should want to do it more days than you don't. And I think right now, it is definetely quality over quantity of miles. I can tell you that as Zach has gotten older it has gotten easier to get the workouts in and plan when I will do them. His going to bed everynight b/t 7-7:30 and waking up b/t 7-7:30 has been hugely helpful. So take it easy on yourself. For the next couple of weeks just run when you feel like it and then go back to your more hardcore training.
ReplyDeleteOh, you asked what a computrainer class was on my blog. They are at the local tri/cycling shop and everyone hooks their bikes up to a computer which controls the resistance on your bike so it's like you are riding a course with other riders. It's the only way to stay sane riding a bike in the winter here.
You've got good advice in the first two comments. I think that I sometimes feel like if I cut miles, I'm less a runner. But that isn't true. I know it's addictive to chalk up miles but we need to pay attention to what our bodies and minds need too. Especially now. We're new moms, stretching ourselves in new directions. Take a break, cut some miles, and enjoy the runs you do. Have fun!
ReplyDeletei have no advice about the training but selfishly it makes me feel like less of a slacker knowing you can't (or don't want to since nathan) do everything you want. it IS hard to fit it all in, it's NOT like before, and it's hard to let go of the idea that we suck if we're not as together as we want to. i remain impressed by all your miles!
ReplyDeleteI might try cutting things back a bit. I think 76 miles seems a bit high for a 10 mile race. Try not to be so hard on yourself! You're a new mom - not sleeping as much, a lot of your energy going towards breastfeeding and taking care of a little one. I bet if you take some lighter weeks you'll feel refreshed!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Angela.. qaulity over quantity for sure. I've done less of everything since being a mom... but since the time I have to train is limited, I go a lot harder in each of my workouts and now actually feel stronger than ever.
ReplyDeleteWhat you need, my dear, is a good night's sleep! :)
Thanks, ladies. I think everyone had a little of nugget of truth for me! I decided that I am just going to run as much as I feel like running while still getting in a tempo/speed workout and long run each week. I think that my body can't handle high mileage. Sarah hit it on the head: I feel like I am not a real runner if I am not logging high mileage. I've always esteemed to be one of those people that run 70+ miles...but have never been able to get there. I thought I would be a better, faster runner if I could run that much. I guess I will never know!
ReplyDeleteI think it is especially hard to be a new mom when you are someone who has such a passion for being active. I was used to so much time to devote to my sport and now feel like I am losing some of myself because I can't be as active. I guess it was unrealistic to think that I could become a mother and not compromise. It is just reassuring to know that I am not I am not alone in this struggle.