Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Pain Management

I haven't run since Saturday and, unfortunately, rather than getting better things have gotten worse. Last night I had a melt down. Despite stretching, using my stem machine several times a day, taking massive amounts of Ibuprofen, rolling out the knot in my butt with a field hockey ball obsessively, my sciatic nerve started going off. I basically haven't slept for the past two nights because I was in so much pain. So today I took action: (1) I went to see my general practitioner and got prescriptions for three pain medications (Tylenol 3, Lidocaine patch (a topical patch for pain), and Amitriptyline (a former anti-depressant that is now used to treat muscle pain)); (2) I scheduled a massage for Thursday AND Sunday; (3) I scheduled a PT appointment for Friday. Between extensive stretching, time off from running, deep tissue massage, and the new pain meds, I am hoping that things will start to feel better. I am pretty frustrated with this injury. I have had it off and on since 2001 and NOTHING has ever made it better, including extensive physical therapy and 3 periods of 6 months rest from running/ exercise. It comes and goes of its own volition, but seems to be stress related. And, as we just found out that my husband's company is going bankrupt, I think stress is definitely playing a role in this flare up. I hope for reprieve to come quickly! I am a much better mother when I am not in pain and exhausted.

8 comments:

  1. Ugh...that stinks. Sorry to hear that. Hope it starts to improve. Sounds like you're doing all you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hang in there - you have alot going on. Good thing you are being proactive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not PT, but it sounds like you haven't been able to pinpoint the root cause of the problem? Maybe there's a muscular imbalance or something going on that causes the same injury to return over and over... Identifying and fixing the cause is likely the only way to get long term improvement. Hope you can figure it out! I know what yuo mean about being a better mom when you're healthy and happy. SO TRUE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must be so frustrating. Nothing worse than a problem you can't figure out how to fix. Have you tried acupuncture? Everyone I know who has a mystery ailment finds relief with acupuncture?

    Hope things work out with your husband's company.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds awful! HOpe you can find some relief soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sorry to hear about the recurring pain and your husband's company. I think Mama Simmons is on to something - might be worth really searching for the root cause (just like when I figured out my muscle fascia issue could trigger a slight limp which triggered a host of pains). Until then, enjoy the rest. Chances are that when your body is ready to run again, you'll love it all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I meant the running. You'll love the running again, once the pain is eased.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry things aren't going well. As for running it sounds like you're body and mind are revolting. I hope the down time reignites the fire and does help the hammie. Chronic injuries suck!!!

    ReplyDelete