Feeling a bit refreshed after four days off, two lovely nights of muscle relaxers (I LOVE DRUGS), and a deep tissue massage, I started running again on Thursday. I felt a little better but my hip flexor is still bugging me a bit and the hamstring pain is nagging. I know that no amount of time off is ever going to heal the hamstring issue, but lower mileage, no speed work, and minimal time sitting can help manage the pain. I have decided to start running again, but keep my mileage lower and do more core work/cross-training to keep myself fresh. I have also decided that half-marathons, ten milers, and below will be my lot in life and that marathons and longer distances aren't worth the pain. I went to a PT yesterday and he gave me some core stabilizing exercisizes as I was already doing everything else he would prescribe. He said that he couldn't really see anything wrong with me that would cause this chronic injury. My legs were the same length, both legs were pretty comparable in their strength (although they were both weak), and my pelvis didn't seem to be tilted or anything. He thought that perhaps my core was weak and this was causing me to rely too much on my hamstrings. Additionally, sitting on the hamstring can aggravate an irritated tendon. So, we'll work on my core. I have tried Pilates classes before and I have to be honest...I hate them because I am so freaking weak. Maybe I should relish that which I resist?
My weekly mileage:
Monday, February 16, 2009: 60 minutes elliptical, MTV Yoga Video
Tuesday, February 17, 2009: 65 minutes elliptical
Wednesday, February 18, 2009: 70 minutes elliptical, MTV Yoga Video
Thursday, February 19, 2009: Body Flow class, 8.6 mile run
Friday, February 20, 2009: 7 mile run
Saturday, February 21, 2009: 10 mile run
Sunday, February 22, 2009: 8 mile run and Pilates Video
Total Mileage: 33.6 miles
In other news, Nathan FINALLY slept for 4 hours in a row after about 1.5 weeks of only 1-2 hour increments. Maybe he was going through a growth spurt? Or, as is usually the case, tonight was a fluke.
In addition, my husband and I had our 3rd date night since Nathan was born. It was great. It is amazing that 2-3 hours alone can feel so exciting and can help us to reconnect as a couple. I have been feeling a little bit distant from him as we had a houseguest for about a week and we didn't have any time alone together when we were both awake! It's like dating all over again (except way more comfortable) when we go out now. We set a goal of having these nights at least once a week...but securing a babysitter is harder than one would think! On our few date nights, we've been trying to go to restaurants that we have never eaten at before. Tonight, we even had a fun little jaunt into a lingerie store....hubby actually expressed interest in a corset, which I couldn't believe. He has NEVER expressed interest in lingerie before?! I guess he's loving my "porno boobs" as much as I am (if c cups could ever be considered porno material). I can't believe I just confessed this on my blog.
There should be a link to my e-mail under contact info. It's thesaltyone at gmail, anyway :)
ReplyDeleteNow don't go crazy now that you're feeling better. Ease your way back to protect both your hammie and you're motivation.
Being back to work is really hard. Everyone says, "oh he's so young he won't even notice." But he totally noticed and he is very clingy. He is now back to fighting going to sleep and crying when he starts to fall asleep unless I'm holding him and sometimes even then! Last night I went to bed at 9:00 because he would not go down alone. I took him in bed with me and let him nurse himself to sleep but even then as he was falling asleep he started screaming and crying. It sucked. He eventually fell asleep and we had a good night, but it breaks my heart when he does that. Anyway, I am afraid to reveal all my plans with work on my blog for obvious reasons, so I'll tell you about that in an e-mail :)
Glad you're feeling better!
That's the beauty of anonymity on your blog... you can talk about lingerie and all that. I've thought about doing that... I think it would make my blog more interesting... but since everyone I know reads my blog (including the inlaws!) it just probably wouldn't be appropriate! ;)
ReplyDeleteHahaha - that is hilarious about the boobs. Aren't they fun? I think the pilates would be a great idea and help w/ strength! The date nights are great. We have to start doing them. Good job on the mileage/workouts this week and sounds like a good plan to ease back into it.
ReplyDeleteGlad that things are feeling a bit better. Hopefully the core stuff will help. As my first introduction to pilates, I took a Pi-Yo (pilates/yoga) class and it was a nice gentle start to pilates. They have those in Arlington if that's anywhere near you.
ReplyDeleteEven running less, I think you beat my mileage this week. ;o)
Yay for a date night! We usually manage about once a month and it's the best thing ever for a relationship once you have kids.
My husband loves the bigger boobs but I am totally over them. I want my boobs back that didn't require me to seek out special sports bras.
ReplyDeleteGlad you are easing back into the running. Funny that your mileage is just "easing" back in when that's a lot of miles to most people.
Hope the 4 hours wasn't a fluke.
i love a core class at my gym...i would never do that much of that stuff on my own but i totally feel stronger because of it which i know helps my running form. and yay for honesty in blogs! not too many "real life" people read mine, but enough so that i'm always editing a bit in my mind...i wish i was more anonymous!
ReplyDeleteI sometimes want to tell my friends and family that I blog...and, I'm usually a brutally honest person so nothing on this blog should come as a shock to anyone that reads it, but I like not having to be gaurded. This being said, I do wish that I could have a blog solely focused on Nathan. Maybe I'll just set up a different account??
ReplyDeleteMCM--I have noticed the PiYo classes at Golds and have been thinking about going. Seems most Pilates Studios close to me don't start new classes until April.
Angela--I LOVE my c cups!! I was never much of a boob girl...but now I just feel like everything looks better with a little bit more up top. I will wear double sports bras any day if I could keep these suckers (ha! literally!).