I do this....
http://www.doublex.com/section/life/get-your-kid-your-facebook-page
But, I don't think it is from a loss of my sense of self. I think it is from a regained NEW sense of self that now incorporates the amazing life that my husband and I created.
I hate the feminists that think the only way for there to be equality is for women to eschew their children and solely pursue a career. And, ignore the fact that our children now consume a massive portion of our free time. And, while I would love to be as well versed in politics, the news, literature, etc., as I used to be, I now have a small being that I need to care for and that requires the development of a whole new knowledge set. And, I am unabashed in talking about my children WITH OTHER PARENTS. I try my damnedest to talk of other things to my friends who do not yet have husbands or children for that matter.
What do you all think about the merging of identity between mother and independent woman? How do we strike a healthy balance between being good parents and having our own lives?
P.S. Shin splints appear to be gone! Yeah! No stress fracture! (I TOTALLY overeact!)
yay for the healthy legs! read that article...silly. my husband's profile pic is just andra, mine is and will be for a while a pic of the 2 of us. big deal. i like extremists who overanalyze because they make me think and balance out the extremists on the other side, but i sure do find them silly sometimes.
ReplyDeleteMy picture for a long time was of Zach. I hate the way I look in pictures so I will use a picture of Zach in every opportunity where it is appropriate.
ReplyDeleteAnd I think the best mom is a happy mom. For me that is having things of my own like triathlon and running but I do know some woman who are the happiest when their worlds revolve around their kids and I say "good for them." It's not for me but then they think I'm crazy for training like I do.
that is cute. I had Nick up there, now it is a picture of the 2 of us. I agree with you, this is now what consumes my life and he is a huge part of who I am!!
ReplyDeleteAt one time I would have gotten all wrapped up in the picture argument, but my husband and all his completely self-aware, work-absorbed cop buddies have babies for their profiles, and I'd never accuse them of having a loss of self!
ReplyDeleteSo maybe that's the real inequality -- that guys who unabashedly parent get reactions of "awww, how sweet, he's such a progressive dad," while moms are accused of losing their identities and subverting feminism.
I admit it's hard not to exist through kids when EVERYONE you meet in public speaks to (or through) them. Someone actually said "hey sweetie, does your mommy know what time it is?" the other day!