Saturday, May 2, 2009

Icarus

Have you ever had an experience that you feel was God's way of bringing you back to Earth? That maybe you had a bit too much hubris and you needed to be reminded how mortal you were?

I had that experience this past week in Puerto Rico; we had a very scary car wreck.

We were driving on a two lane road going around a sharp turn when a driver tried to pass a car in our lane. We swerved off the road to miss him and he swerved as well, slamming into us. Or, at least, this is what my husband tells me. My memory of the event was that I had been staring out the window at the lush green hills waiting for an occassional peek at the ocean when I was flung forward like a rag doll. I couldn't breathe. My next memory is of my husband asking me if I was OK and Nathan screaming. I kept saying no, no, no and with complete singularity my brain demanded that I must get Nathan. I opened my car door only to crumple to the ground. The next thing I remember is that I was laying on the ground and people were all around me and someone handed me Nathan. And I sobbed and kissed him all over.
I have replayed those few moments over and over in my head. The accident took place in mere seconds. A shift of the head. A slightly different angle of impact. An improperly fastened seat belt. Any of these factors could have changed the equation and we could have been dead. Nathan could have been dead. He was in this rinky-dink car seat that we got from the rental company that barely had a three-point harness. The seat belt was too tight, but we squeezed him in. What if we had made it looser? Would he have been hurt?

My husband and I are covered in bruises and had mild concussions. My hammer toe that I had surgery on is pretty swollen and my knee hurts so badly that I am still having problems walking.

But, Nathan has not one bruise. I spent the first two days after the accident repeatedly taking his clothes off and searching his body for marks, pressing his tiny little parts to see if there was some hidden pain that we couldn't see. But, he was and is fine. 10 minutes after the accident he was cooing in the arms of the EMT.

We have so much to be thankful for:

12 comments:

  1. How scary! Glad to hear that Nathan is fine and that your and your husband's injuries are minor! Having an accident with one or both of my kids in the car is one of my biggest fears.

    MCM Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nightmare, I hardly know what to say. It's so wonderful that everyone's safe, but I can't imagine what those emotions must have been like.

    Sounds like you need a vacation to recover from your vacation -- rest up and enjoy lots of snuggle time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I totally got goosebimps reading this. SO glad you guys are all ok. Kids are amazing the way they completely don't get scared even when they probably should. I can totally picture how Nathan was fine in the middle of all that. Moana was the same way when I locked her in the car for 1/2 hour and I was all FREAKING OUT and she was just chillin'.
    Hope your knee gets better too. Watch that concussion too. I got one last year after being hit by a car (on my bike) and really couldn't run for over a week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!!! I am so glad you all are ok!!! Very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad you are all okay. Take care of yourselves, give your bodies and minds time to rest. I don't know what else to say. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO sorry to hear about your accident. Awful! Glad to hear you're all physically okay though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, my goodness. I am so happy that you are all ok. And so sorry that you had to go through this. We were hit headon, before Nick was born, memorial day weekend, and it was a wreck. I was afraid to drive and still am afraid of getting hit. It is really scary. I can't imagine having little Nathan in the backseat and what you had to go through. Thank god you are ok.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad Nathan is okay. That gave me chills just reading your post. I hope you both recover from your injuries. It's terrifying to think about how much worse it could have been.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yikes! So glad Nathan is ok and you guys are more or less ok (the psychological trauma is intense, I'm sure!) I am so sorry this happened to you. If it helps mrp and I were in a really bad accident when I was 10 weeks pregnant. It was awful! I kept imagining how much worse it would have been had he been outside the belly. I still have problems driving on the freeway in bad traffic. Also, pain from an accident like that can creep up on you weeks or months later. If possible both you and hubby should see a chiro, just in case! ***HUG***

    ReplyDelete
  10. Got your question re: baby swapping with other moms. It's tough. I've tried several times with other moms but they weren't really into it. I think you have to find one who is as crazed as you are for free time (I mean that in the best way of course! ;) Seriously- find a triathlete if you can- trigeeks are always willing to do whatever to get their workouts in. ;) You'd probably do best finding one at a local race or tri-shop if there are any in your area? I got super lucky finding Jenny.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad you guys are ok. Take it easy until you feel recovered if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ohmygod I'm sorry about the wreck and am so glad you are all okay!!! I can't imagine how scared you must have been for Nathan... sososo glad y'all are okay.

    ReplyDelete